Is this a Puffball?

EatTheWeeds

...Maybe it's not even a fungus!  I found this emerging through some thick moss near some evergreens.  The inside is firm, but there's a layer of slime between the outer skin and the inner.  It smelled gross!

IMG_20180815_125649624.jpg

IMG_20180815_125849263.jpg

IMG_20180815_125423631.jpg

IMG_20180815_125619665.jpg

IMG_20180815_125554215.jpg

IMG_20180815_125639439.jpg

Perhaps Phallus hadriani?

• 2 weeks later...

So about a week ago, I discovered a third one of these, but the outer skin of the "egg" was cracked - think the lawn mower rode over it.  It hasn't shriveled up, but it hasn't done much else.  Do you think it'll grow?  How long does it take?

I've seen stinkhorn eggs that dried up in situ and failed to develop into full-blown stinkhorns. Probably depends on the weather, and maybe how much damage was done by the mower. Some stinkhorn eggs are attached to the soil by a thin root-like strand. Don't know if breaking the root may stifle growth.