I am trying to indentify this funnel...

shredder34

I need help finding out what this is. It is soft to the touch but not slimy. It almost smells exactly like your regular white storebought mushrooms, and it's growing in my backyard, as shown, in clusters. I have found that it is similar to the foresight funnel (faerberia carbonaria) but the color is completely different. Please help because I have four dogs I constantly have to watch because I can't find out how to positively identify this mysterious fungus.

I wear a US size 9 for reference in one of the photos

1534290329293601855733.jpg

1534290364590135968154.jpg

1534290390501788807108.jpg

15342904232271471544956.jpg

15342909836111524270986.jpg

I have not ever eaten this type mushroom. Champignons du Quebec says it's a mediocre edible. 

Even though I am fairly confident about the Hohenbuehelia petaloides ID, if I was going to try eating this I would subject it to additional scrutiny. Spore print should be white, and the gill edges should not be jagged. Also, the flesh should not be bitter or peppery. There are a few species of genus Lentinellus that resemble H. petaloides. For example, L. cochleatus. Lentienllus mushrooms have jagged gill edges and taste bitter/peppery. They should not be consumed. 

From what I can see with a large magnifying glass the gills are smooth. As for the taste, what I have read says to take a small piece and place it on the tip of the tongue to check for bitterness or peppery flavor. Then spit it out if you sense wither or both of those. If not then it is more than likely an edible mushroom but try a small piece first to be cautious. I have seen close up photos of the other species you have stated and I can see a few differences that also give me confidence that it is edible.

Thank you for all the help! Now I know where I can get the best information when I am confused or uncertain of the fungus in question!

There is no "taste test" for edibility. People who have consumed the deadly Amanita phalloides reported it to be very tasty. The taste test is used as ONE CRITERION among many used to try to determine the species of a given mushroom. In this case, the taste test was suggested as a means of distinguishing Hohenbuehelia petaloides from species of Lentinellus that have a similar appearance.