Need help! (New here)

Keli R

Hi all, 

I am new here and to the mushroom game. I am attempting to teach myself about mushroom identification as thoroughly as possible. I have found a batch of mushrooms that I am pretty convinced are bicolor boletes. There are hundreds of them, and before harvesting them all, I wanted to feel certain. Please let me know what you think! 

Also, if anyone is in CT and would like to take me around for ID .. I’d love the knowledge! 

29ABCD07-3EF1-443D-BE54-5D2430FB6CA9.jpeg

Kind of look like Bicolor but I don't think your picture colors are doing them any justice. Could you describe the coloration in your own words or is your picture a true representation of color. You definitely have some form of boletes but please take a look at the sticky on how to post ID pics if you are hoping we can narrow it down exactly.

There is blue bruising on the back left that I can see.  This could be edible but I stay away from any that bruise blue, they will bruise immediately just pinch the cap.  If it doesn't bruise blue I take a nibble and SPIT IT OUT to see how bitter it is.  There is much more knowledgeable people on this forum.  I have learned tons from the people here.  Good luck, typically doing a pinch test and tasting for bitterness has not done me wrong.  But like I said I am a beginner also.

From what I have read on multiple sites and from talking to people. The bicolor boletes bruise on the underside but do not bruise on the interior and that is ok. 

I do not know if they smell like beef bouillon as I’m not quite sure what that even smells like. 

Bruising reaction on bicolor is quite variable... sometimes only on the pores, sometimes only on the stalk, sometimes quite dark on the cap. Usually the interior flesh does not stain, but sometimes it does show a small amount of blue staining on the cut flesh. The red/yellow boletes are a tricky group. My guess about the ones seen here is that they are bicolor. 

Connecticut Valley Mycological Society is an excellent mushroom club  http://www.cvmsfungi.org/  .

I’m sorry, I have no idea what you mean by “sticky on posting pics”...

I did it in full light so I didn’t really think there would be an issue. 

I’d could tell me how to find that, that would be great 

48 minutes ago, Keli R said:

I’m sorry, I have no idea what you mean by “sticky on posting pics”...

I did it in full light so I didn’t really think there would be an issue. 

I’d could tell me how to find that, that would be great 

On the first page at the very top, you will see a thread called "how to ask for help identifying mushrooms". In this thread it will give you all the relevant info on how and what pictures to take to maximize the chances of a solid ID proposal for your mushrooms you are posting. There are a ton of very knowledgable posters here, but to maximize your odds of getting a confident ID proposal from someone the format in that thread can be very useful. A "sticky" is a pinned thread.

Photos taken outdoors, but not in direct sunlight, are best. Find a spot outside where there's good ambient light, but shade from a tree or structure. Your camera should let you know when there's insufficient light. On a cloudy day things are easier.