Boletus satanas

valbonix

valbonix, it would be helpful if you would tell people where you are located and the geography of where you found these mushrooms. This is a mushroom I have never seen in person myself so I'm sure people would be interested to know where they were found. Generally speaking. Thank you for posting.

wow that is an impressive bolete. I think it is one of the main reasons for the rule about not eating blue stainers or boletes with red pores.

Hi

There are no problems on eating blue stainer Boletus and most of them are delicious. BUT you must know them!!

And avoid this one in particular, Boletus satanas. Despite the name it is not mortal, it only makes gastrointestinal problems.

Bye :D

I have found very few red pored boletes and I am still stumped by the one I found in Florida last August a year ago. I did find one red pored bolete in Oregon last October and that is about it.

post-1-003470100 1288312028_thumb.jpg Look how much of the stalk was buried under the surface.

This is the one from FL from 2009:

Top two pics look like Boletus subvelutipes. I find lots of these up here in northeast NA. Red pores that bruise very dark, furfuraceous stipe, and overall color of the ones in the photos match this species well. Big NA bolete book lists range of subvelutipes as "south to Florida."

Boletus subvelutipes

post-20-003903800 1288397972_thumb.jpg

post-20-076204100 1288397937_thumb.jpg

Don't recognize the second specimen (bottom several pics). Lack of bluing on cut flesh is not typical for red-pored varieties. Bolete book lists B. carmimiporus as a southeastern NA red-pored bolete that has non-staining flesh, but it's stalk is listed as reticulate... the one seen here appears to not be reticulate.

Dave, I had ID'd the first one from Oregon as Boletus Erythropus but the bottom one from FL is still a mystery even on Mushroom Observer. It was suggested it might be a Chalciporus species but I don't necessarily agree. Still a mystery. No ideas from Gary Lincoff or Tom Volk or anyone else for that matter! I had it on my Facebook page for ages and no one had any idea.

Yeah, mary... I agree with "erythropus." Big book calls it "luridiformis." Subvelutipes has an eastern NA range, but erythropus reaches across the continent. The two different species (ery & sub) are very similar. We get them both around here, and sometimes I am unable to ID a given mushroom to one or the other.

Here's some that I found in Vermont this summer. IDed to B. luridiformis (B. erythropus). Based my ID on the red context in the stalk base. Otherwise, it'd be a tossup.

post-20-048111600 1288445871_thumb.jpg

post-20-096576400 1288445954_thumb.jpg

post-20-065064500 1288446024_thumb.jpg

This next one (not a red-pore) was my most interesting bolete of the year. Found nearby Adirondack Loj (high-peaks region) nearby a wide trail in a coniferous forest. Macroscopically, it looks like either B. spadiceus or B. tenax. Since B. tenax is listed as an oak/pine species (common forest type here in the east) and this was found in an area devoid of oak, I'm going with "spadiceus."

post-20-028531200 1288446106_thumb.jpg

post-20-088559100 1288446148_thumb.jpg

post-20-008604200 1288446188_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I found the boletes below in Istanbul, Turkey; the red ones in 2008 (I guess they were Boletus frostii), the others in 2010 ( Maybe Boletus subvelutipes? ).

it's always difficult to compare mushroom species in North America with European or Asian versions. But B. frostii and B. subvelutipes would be good first guesses for those two types if they were found here in PA, USA. The frostii should have a coarsely reticulate stem.