Purdy polypore

diana

This is amazing.  I immediately thought Laetiporus persicinus as soon as I saw this, but lack of staining, and growing on wood rules that out.  Then Hydnellum scrobiculatum because of the pitting, but yours is too big... and growing on wood, and lacks spines (teeth).  And others... Like Jahnoporus sp., Meripilus sp., and finally, I end up with a young Bondarzewia berkeleyi that has a tan because it's growing from a log in the sun...   That's all I have.  Hope this gets positively id'd!

Was not in the sun.  I'm surprised I even saw it.  The log is lying across the creek in a shaded area.  Not only that but an elephant ear leaf was completely covering it.  Not touching it, just positioned as though an awning.

I also considered jahnoporus hirtus but that only occurs on the west coast and I don't think they mean the west coast of Florida which is where I reside ;~)

I'm dying of curiosity. 

One more request, if you still have the mushroom and are willing:  Can you get a close picture of the mushroom sliced in half, so we can see the cap and pore structure from a side view?

I do still have it.  I'm thinking of drying a slice or two just in case anyone wants a sample for testing....  Just how would or where should I take slice?

Also I have this wrapped in newspaper in fridge.  It is drying out and shrinking.  It's current measurements are 7" tall, top is 7.5" diameter and 4.5" deep, stipe 1.75" diameter and 4" long (measured along curve)

Here are several pictures from this morning.  Still quite beautiful.

0802180816_HDR.thumb.jpg.f5dc68039872f0d571e55b3ac94a4024.jpg0802180816a_HDR.thumb.jpg.11d599cd65fd555333fabd1953baa089.jpg0802180817_HDR.thumb.jpg.847beab4c5ad4d8a0b65e1b27e42f643.jpg0802180816c_HDR.thumb.jpg.aa887c42d57d684d2fec8a36e4d97baf.jpg

I would cut large slices from top to bottom, and dry a couple for possible testing.

Do you have Grifola frondosa in your area?  I'm on my tablet, and can't see where you are from.

1 hour ago, darreneugenius said:

This does look a lot like Grifola.  But the more I look at it, the more it resembles a rosette form of Abortiporus.  I've sliced those open and dissected them and they are somewhat similar... In my opinion.  She's in Western Florida @The Mushroom Whisperer

I think you're on to something, here.  It does look like Abortiporus.

Abortiporus is the closest I have seen yet to resembling this thing.  Again with the California only stuff!  We do have some species that also appear here and usually in opposite seasons.  Such as spring for them and fall for us or visa versa.  I guess this is because of our corresponding rainy seasons.  And as Dave has mentioned before,  Fl is under represented.

Microscopy time!  lol. Do you have your own scope Ms. Diana? 

That looks really like the best bet @Dave W!  Two observations in MO from Florida too!  And since you mentioned that, even Polyporus tuberaster bears a slight resemblance!

One of the Florida obs of Dave's suggestion from Christmas, Fl:

https://mushroomobserver.org/310396?q=TekV

Besides the funnel shape I see no similarities.  Color of mine was a deep grayed brown (have seen horses that color and they were called bay).  Warts and ruffles, very textured and strangely beautiful.  And yes, I do own a microscope.  I am not experienced with it though...  What would I look at and what would I compare/inspect?

What about the size?  Wasn't able to get a translation on the Quebec page today.... from what French I do remember seems the cap only gets to a bit over 4" and not very deep.  Also seems from all pictures it possess scales as opposed to the elaborate texture this thing had.

Looking at online pics of P. craterellus, it seems to me the "scales" are the result of the upper surface breaking/shredding. I think that's basically what is seen in your example. Perhaps a spell of dry weather caused the cap surface to break apart in an atypical way? Your polypore does appear to be quite large for this species. Your mushroom may be something other than P. craterellus, but this si the best proposal I can think of. Abortiporus biennis is unlikely to produce a fruit body with as much from/symmetry as yours. I seriously doubt yours is Grifola. 

• 4 weeks later...