This evening's hunt

Besides smooth chanterelles, we picked these this evening. I think the biggest white one was under an oak or hemlock but I'm not sure. It doesn't bleed latex but it seems to have stained brown from its white color since it was picked. Maybe a russula? The yellow one is another russula I think,  and was picked probably either under oak or hemlock. I am actually wondering about the edibility of the milky on the left (not so much the other two mushrooms but my dad and I thought they were cool looking) with the white latex coming out of it. The other two I'm not as curious about because I forgot to see what trees they were under. The milky was in a hemlock area of the forest (with occasional other trees but mostly hemlock) and I think was under a hemlock. It bleeds white latex and hasn't stained like the other white mushroom I thought was a milky. Any help is appreciated, and if you can't ID them specifically enough no worries. I don't know why I forgot to look at the trees they were under... 

But yeah thanks for any help!

PS the pictures are kinda dimmer than real life. The milky is pretty bright white.

Andy

20180727_213113.jpg

20180727_213125.jpg

Here's more of the milky by the by 

20180727_212914.jpg

20180727_212927.jpg

Has the milk changed color after drying?  A color change from white, can help determine which one it is.

Also did you try nibbling the edge of the cap, to see if it is peppery or acrid?  It is safe to nibble a tiny amount between your front teeth, and taste with your tongue then spit out, and rinse.

The milk has had little or no change in color since drying. It is still white, maybe slightly more off white than before, but no browning or anything. I nibbled on a piece and spit/rinsed, and it is spicy like wasabi! 

Another option would be Lactifluus piperatus, which grows with deciduous.  It sounds like there may have been some in the area.

L. piperatus has crowded gills, like the mushroom you have pictured.

My impression from the Audubon guide  of both of those species is that they are both edible but neither taste very good and need to be cooked to not taste so pungent. We had a good meal of chanterelles, and I can afford to throw that lactifluus out. I'll have note the exact tree next time to be more confident. There are other trees like birch and I think beech and oak in the forest. One of them must have been the host. 

Thanks for your help!

3 hours ago, Yergaderga said:

My impression from the Audubon guide  of both of those species is that they are both edible but neither taste very good and need to be cooked to not taste so pungent. We had a good meal of chanterelles, and I can afford to throw that lactifluus out. I'll have note the exact tree next time to be more confident. There are other trees like birch and I think beech and oak in the forest. One of them must have been the host. 

Thanks for your help!

Bear in mind that the closest tree is not necessarily the host.  I've picked matsutake under cedar trees, and found amanita's 25' away from the nearest tree.

On 7/29/2018 at 11:59 AM, The Mushroom Whisperer said:

Bear in mind that the closest tree is not necessarily the host.  I've picked matsutake under cedar trees, and found amanita's 25' away from the nearest tree.

That's true. Piperatus it is! 

Thanks!

On 7/29/2018 at 9:59 PM, Dave W said:

The biggest one --no latex noted-- may be Russula compacta. Does it have a noticeable odor?

I like the Lactifluus piperatus proposal for the Milkie.

Little one is probably some kinda Russula. 

Dave W,

The big one smelled pretty rank if I remember right, but I'm not sure. It's still sitting in the fridge for some reason and currently smells like fridge air. It was white before it was picked and that makes me think that it could be brevipes. But I am not a mushroom expert.

I agree with you on the others as well. 

Thanks!

White color and funnel shape of cap both point toward R. brevipes. I usually think of brevipes as a conifer species, with short-stemmed fruit bodies buried in the needle duff. But Michael Kuo says he finds it in mixed woods. He also says there are likely several different species of American "brevipes". I thought the prominent brown bruising on the gills favored compacta. I have seen post-mature compacta with depressed cap center. The one seen here is kinda chalky white for compacta. I think the presence or lack of a strong fishy odor would be enough to arrive at a confident ID... in case you find it again.