good hunting

Nice. I sure wish I could find some trumpets. I've never seen one.

A narrow band of rain came through a few days ago. It missed my house and my chanterelle spots close to home, but the radar showed that it his one of my best spots about 20 minutes away so I stopped today after I left work to check on it.

2018-07-26 17.05.12[1].jpg

Nice table full! I went out today after work and picked another 7lbs of chanterelle.  Freezers gonna get pretty full soon.

Took me few years to narrow down some productive trumpet spots. Mossy, creek banks, yellow birch are my go too.

Thanks so much Matt. I'll keep that in mind. Not too many places I can think of like that around here though. I wonder if they like grey birch? Grey birch I can find... especially up at camp.

By the way, I found all of those Chants under shagbark hickory trees. Not more than an oak or two in the distance. They were also concentrated in places that tend to hold onto ground moisture a little longer than most other places. Shaded, facing away from the afternoon sun, washes, near creeks, ground cover, etc. I looked there because it's been dry here lately.

4 hours ago, Staveshaver said:

Thanks so much Matt. I'll keep that in mind. Not too many places I can think of like that around here though. I wonder if they like grey birch? Grey birch I can find... especially up at camp.

By the way, I found all of those Chants under shagbark hickory trees. Not more than an oak or two in the distance. They were also concentrated in places that tend to hold onto ground moisture a little longer than most other places. Shaded, facing away from the afternoon sun, washes, near creeks, ground cover, etc. I looked there because it's been dry here lately.

Same here with the hickory being very productive as well as beech trees.  None near oak.  Actually picked a few around some maples. Good hunting friend!

Black trumpets are pretty elusive around me as well. Had a buddy find one last year so I know they exist. I’m up for trades Matt !!!

Sweet score Whisperer  !!  Usually I’m the one taunting everyone with mounds of chantys this time of the year !! Lol. Been super dry for another month or so. Managed to harvest two jars of crushed chantys so far.  Not looking good   

Little experiment I been partaking in ......  Chanterelle venison jerky!!!

C4C21299-DBDA-4F26-97A0-9D8CB1D26EBD.jpeg

595B7B3B-9ED7-4562-AD00-5F8E991D15BE.jpeg

23A60F75-43B3-4FD1-9316-63D8F3D7E059.jpeg

2 hours ago, CajunShroomer3578 said:

If I were to do anything different.... I would use fresh chantys in next batch. I used already dehydrated crushed chantys. Not that it came out bad just still in experimental stage lol.    Pretty darn  good !!! 

I've never had luck with chanterelle flavor after drying. I wonder how previously frozen would work.

If you want I can send you some dried trumpets!

On 7/27/2018 at 2:04 PM, Matt McDermott said:

I've never had luck with chanterelle flavor after drying. I wonder how previously frozen would work.

If you want I can send you some dried trumpets!

I’m sure they would work well. I didn’t want to use the few packs I have stashed for hunting season quite yet. Slim pickens this summer.

Lol. Thanks but hang on to your trumpets. I have plenty of game in the freezer and  veggies out the garden. One of these days I’ll come across them 

Cajun, we got this guy and his friends on camera behind the house this week. Hope my daughter or I can get him in early archery season in PA and make some jerky. We had a couple smaller racks too. The does have fawns, so they get a pass till later.

37BCB3C0-CE9F-4171-B5CE-C8BF558F4622.jpeg

Hope ya don’t mind us high jacking your thread a little while Matt lol

38 minutes ago, Evan said:

Cajun, we got this guy and his friends on camera behind the house this week. Hope my daughter or I can get him in early archery season in PA and make some jerky. We had a couple smaller racks too. The does have fawns, so they get a pass till later.

37BCB3C0-CE9F-4171-B5CE-C8BF558F4622.jpeg

That’s the story of my life man. Been hunting a giant swamp deer behind the house 2 years now. These whitetail are EXTREMELY instinctual animals.  Seen him last year in November  for the first time at 80 yards while bow hunting. I about soiled my pants. No photos though. Maybe this year I’ll  put a camera up. I like the suspense. Happy hunting!!