Chanterelles?

Sherwood

Yup, one of the types of classic American chanterelle formerly classified as Cantharellus cibarius. I haven't yet learned the several different new species names for eastern NA classic chants. They are all excellent edibles. Good to also learn to recognize Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca and the toxic Omphalotus illudens, as they may be mistaken for classic yellow chanterelles.

1 hour ago, GCn15 said:

Am I the only one who thinks the 3rd photo may not be a chanterelle?

There were 4 I didn't end up using because the bugs got to them pretty bad. Pretty sure that one was one of them. I ate some,. and froze the rest.

2 hours ago, GCn15 said:

Could be just a really old one I suppose. The rest all looked like chanties to me.

Other than the bugs, this one and a couple others were really dried out. The edges were real dark and crisp. We have not had much rain lately in upstate NY. Suppose to get a lot of rain this week tho! I am kind of hoping that new ones pop up in the same spot. It's a tough spot because its on a hill and when we do get heavy rain the water seems to run right through the mushroom patch, getting them all muddy or washing them out. I will check again and let ya all know!

I think photo #3 shows a chanterelle, just old and a bit dried up. You can see how the broken folds/gills comprising the hymenium have forks. The only other type mushroom that comes to mind in Hygrpohoropsis, and none of these look like Hygrophoropsis to me.