Photos Don't Do Justice

So I found this very large group (2 groups more than 8x8 inches each) growing near a stump and rotten log.  Absolute gorgeous mushrooms, but again, being the newbie I am, I have no clue what they are.  ...Unless they're giant turkey tail (please don't laugh at me)?

They had a definite odor when I held them near my nose.  Definitely not metallic, or 'mushroomy' I can't exactly describe the odor. The inner flesh was definitely a shade whiter than the outside, and though the photos don't show too well, it didn't appear to have gills or pores - just slight ridges running all the way to the base.

I wish I had better photos.  Here in IL, even though I practically showered in DEET, the mosquitoes are like a cloud the moment you stand still!

IMG_20180719_192937987.jpg

IMG_20180719_192827068.jpg

IMG_20180719_192905546.jpg

IMG_20180719_192843370.jpg

IMG_20180719_192933005.jpg

IMG_20180719_192800785.jpg

Interesting. Looks like a young Black Staining Polypore (Meripilus sumstinei), except I don't see any black staining!  http://www.mushroomexpert.com/meripilus_sumstinei.html . Maybe there's no black staining because this is too young? On a young polypore the pore openings can be difficult to see. M. sumstinei has mature pores that are 6-8 per mm, which is pretty small. 

My original size description was way off.  Some of  the caps(?) were at least 5 inches across, making the whole bunch at least a foot across. It built up from ground level up in tiers to probably 10 inches?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the caps appear so much bigger than any photos online for black staining polypores, the edges appear thicker and smoother, and the top of the caps much darker...?

My first 2 mushroom finds: white morel and dryad's saddle were soo easy to identify... They fooled me into thinking this would be easy!  Lol!

Mushroom Expert says the individual fronds on Meripilus sumstinei reach a width of 20 cm (~8 inches) and the whole fruit body is 12 inches or more wide. I have seen examples where the entire fruit body is well over 24 inches wide and the individual fronds are larger than 8 inches. It's not the size that causes me to wonder about the M. sumstinei ID proposal; it's the lack of black staining as seen in the photos. Did you notice any darkening or black staining, especially neat the edges of the fronds and possibly only after handling them? If the mushroom has further matured, then there may be a better chance to see the staining. 

Dave, I found some frond stage black staining polypore once that would take several (longer than 5) minutes to stain. Not sure of this was a common occurrence?

The ones I'm referring to where younger,more yellowish and just emerging like stalagmites and very very moist/juicy. I never recall them ever being this dark not even after they where massive.

Ok, so it appears that I should've trusted your judgement as always.  Here are a few more photos.  While they definitely do not stain black immediately, or even after a few minutes, the broken pieces I left behind the other day, had stained black.  The base is very woody, but you can literally squeeze them, and clear liquid will come out. I can see the pores now too.  Also tearing the caps is very interesting - very stringy? Like tearing apart a cotton ball or a piece of string cheese!

Now in terms of edibility...?  😁

IMG_20180722_082811453.jpg

IMG_20180722_083942700.jpg

IMG_20180722_083950658.jpg

IMG_20180722_083938641.jpg

IMG_20180722_082817596.jpg

Dave, I collected the specimen I described and it stained black all over after me handling and getting it home. It had grown from dead roots under ground and I found it when it was about 6-8 inches tall.

Stalagmites maybe a poor choice of wording since they where not pointed but rather thick and cup shaped on the end with multiple nodules in the center and appeared as though they where growing straight up from the ground as apposed to wood. Some of the slightly larger ones had multiple fronds that where starting to flatten.

It has been awhile ago now but I used to have pics of it I believe.

Yup, EtW. Almost definitely Meripilus sumstinei. But, I do get it wrong sometimes, and before seeing the black staining I was not convinced of my ID proposal. It is often the case that the best ID proposal is arrived at via discussion. Even at the big forays where authors and other myco-heavyweights are present, IDs are arrived at by committee. 

Matt, actually I have never observed M. sumstinei in the "button" stage. Perhaps it looks somewhat like Berkekley's at that point? Anyway, lots of black staining certainly supports your M. sumstinei proposal.