Edibility of Hypomyces hyalinus

In my area of New Brunswick Canada around 80% of our blusher mushrooms are covered by Hypomyces hyalinus and the other 20% are most often bug infested when they pop. Investigating a large cluster of blushers today I noticed the nice thick Hypomyces hylalinus blushers were bug free and had a solid and also moist texture inside, so of course I'm wondering if anyone has eaten these on this forum? I know Hypomyces hyalinus can be on a few other Amanita mushrooms so this is a edgy subject but one I think is worth discussion.

DSC08254.JPG

Tasso your comment is necessary as safety is the #1 most important concern and frankly I often wait several years before trying mushrooms like this one which are on the outer most limits, I do a lot of research and weigh things very carefully, though I will explain further - If your Hypomyces hyalinus mushroom blushes as the mushrooms in the photo blush at the base when cut you can rule out all but A amerirubescens and A flavorubescens. In my area oak trees are rare and not present where I look for blushers which is in conifers forest especially under jack pine, A flavorubescens is common under oak and very rare with conifers, which leaves me with a lot of Amanita amerirubescens with the majority covered by Hypomyces hyalinus, much of N.A doesn't have this situation as I suspect most blushers are found under oak in the eastern US which creates more concern for misidentification. The main issue I have with my local H hyalinus as an edible is the small odds of it being on A flavorubescens which seems to be of (unknown) edibility and also no one is stepping forward to state they eat this mushroom. I only see vague statements on its edibility while on Amantia amerirubescens. In parts of Mexico their blushers are commonly eaten and sold at markets though I can't see any info whether H. hyalinus is eaten or present where the Mexican blushers are gathered. The best known Hypomyces the Lobster mushroom is a popular edible and sold in many markets in Mexico, so I am curious what is happening with Hypomyces hyalinus in areas blushers are commonly eaten. I suspect there may also be a few small pockets within the US where blushers are popular though not turning up much info so far. Right now I'm miles away from eating Hypomyces hyalinus but in conifer forest where H. hyalinus blushes at the base when cut and all surrounding mushrooms are uninfected Amanita amerirubescens this becomes interesting. I will continue to dig around the net a bit to see what other folk's views are on this mushroom and if any will discuss their experience in edibility.

Edited by 1left
left a sentence out

1left I have accidentally eaten a number of A. flavorubens/A. flavourubecens when mixed with other blushers and I haven't suffered ill effects. About a week ago I also (purposely) ate some. They taste fine, and I did not suffer poisoning. I'm interested in finding some more, but there's been a spell of dry weather recently.

My theory is that a majority of "yellow blusher" poisonings are due to confusion with the fly agaric and yellow patches. There aren't any reports of amatoxins in yellow blushers, and it seems that the reported toxins are muscarine and ibotenic acid, which can apparently be cooked out. You already are supposed to cook blushers very well because they are dangerous to consume when raw.

Tldr: I eat A. flavorubens/flavourubecens and I've personally not suffered any I'll effects. Several mushroom guides have disputed reports, some calling it choice, some calling it poisonous, and some calling it into question because of the mixed reports.

You have some Interesting experiences with blushers Monstarules, thanks for your input. I suspect similar things occurring in areas where these mushrooms appear together and if Hypomyces hyalinus is common as well folks are probably eating some slightly to fully parasitized blushers if it is a local custom in rural areas. I have no proof of this happening though, it may or may not be the case in latin America where blushers are commonly eaten, though I am only speculating here as I don't known how far south Hypomyces hyalinus goes. A few more photos on the blusher/Hypomyces hyalinus situation in my area in New Brunswick. These photos are from blushers growing under birch and aspen.

I have only eaten blushers and have not tried any I consider parasitized. 

DSC08270.JPG

DSC08271.JPG

DSC08269.JPG

DSC08272.JPG

I'm somewhat experienced with blushers. I definitely wouldn't eat the brown blusher, it's definitely poisonous but the rest of the blusher family is probably fine. The Amanita Eater though, I've seen growing on destroying angels. I absolutely will not touch any mushroom touched by it.

• 3 years later...

You've seen Hypomyces hyalinus growing on a destroying angel? How could you tell! The existing research shows H. hyalinus only growing on A. rubescens, A. flavorubescens, A. muscaria, and a. frostiana! I'd love to see pics/conduct further research.

On 7/21/2018 at 10:39 PM, Monstarules said:

I'm somewhat experienced with blushers. I definitely wouldn't eat the brown blusher, it's definitely poisonous but the rest of the blusher family is probably fine. The Amanita Eater though, I've seen growing on destroying angels. I absolutely will not touch any mushroom touched by it.

• 11 months later...

I have Brown blushers, Muscaria,  rubescens, A. flavorubescens aound me as well as others and found a big one that im almost sure was a Muscaria because they all flushed first then the others at different times plus under pines. I will say that the hypomyces hyalinus that covered it actually bruised blue/green when touched. I would like to know also if anyone knows the exact composition as the meat of the body was firm and lasted a long time as i watched it grow. It also affected the whole fairy ring as if it looked as if it had infected the actual Mycelium in the ring.

IMG_9177.jpg

IMG_9203.jpg

IMG_9182.jpg

There's zero chance I would ever consume Hypomyces hyalinus.  Every field guide I own says not edible.  

Food is abundant and easily accessible in the world.  Here in NA anyways. There's zero need to be taking risks.