Found what might be 9 different boletes today...

Pinecones

So I've numbered the photos for easy reference.  I wrote down my observations for each "group".  I'm prepared for some of these to be the same subspecies, but they also might all be different!  Picked at high elevation in mixed and very diverse mostly coniferous forest (larches, spruces, pines,+ firs), though I noticed one 'group' growing abundantly strictly under green alder near water.  The mushrooms had been on a bit of a journey [in a cardboard box because the basket filled up too fast) so they bruised up a bit. NONE of them stained any colors.  Just brown bruising.

Here goes.  Oh, and no ring was present/noticed unless specified.  And all mushrooms were DRY unless otherwise specified.  (I only found 1 wet/sticky/slimy jack).  Also colors are much more vibrant than the camera would allow captured, but are otherwise pretty accurate.

#1 CAP brown/buff, scaled.  TUBES mustard yellow.  STIPE smooth, no ring, colored brown, white, and mustard.

#2 CAP cream + pink, scaled.  TUBES soft yellow, semi-linear tubes, with tubes blending into stipe.  STIPE yellow and cream colored, thick.  RING present.

#3 CAP red/orange/cream, scaled.  TUBES mustard, large holes near stipe blending to tiny holes near cap rim.  STIPE mostly yellow, smooth w/ some rust color.

#4 CAP dark rust + maroon, scaled/flaked.  TUBES mustard,  unique coral-like w/ broad openings, blending into stipe.  STIPE yellow/buff + maroon.  RING present.

#5 CAP buff, mostly smooth.  TUBES grey, w/ larger holes near stipe blending to tiny holes near cap rim, with tubes blending into stipe.  STIPE has grey netting texture, mostly cream colored, smooth, no ring.

#6 CAP white to maroon to red to yellow, scaled.  TUBES tiny, yellow/orange.  STIPE yellow > rust > yellow ringed above ring, yellow/buff beneath ring, smooth with no texture andvery thick.  RING present.

#7 CAP mustard yellow, dry, irregular shaped, scaled.  TUBES tiny and mustard yellow.  STIPE smooth and mustard yellow, distinctly wavy (not straight). 

#8 CAP smooth, perfect, rich deep brown, shiny but not wet or sticky.  TUBES tiny and mustard yellow.  STIPE has red ring above the ring, yellow + brown beneath the ring, smooth.  RING present. 

#9 CAP slimy and wet with a burnt color, smooth.  TUBES mustard yellow.  STIPE tore when trying to pick; mushroom was thick and stubborn.  Avoided picking more.

(found a few other beautiful non-bolete beauties I would like to ask about, but I will post those another time!)

mushrooms - 1.jpg

mushrooms - 2.jpg

mushrooms - 3.jpg

mushrooms - 4.jpg

mushrooms - 5.jpg

mushrooms - 6.jpg

mushrooms - 7.jpg

mushrooms - 8.jpg

mushrooms - 9.jpg

mushrooms - 10.jpg

mushrooms - 11.jpg

mushrooms - 12.jpg

mushrooms - 13.jpg

mushrooms - 14.jpg

mushrooms - 19.jpg

mushrooms - 20.jpg

mushrooms - 27.jpg

mushrooms - 28.jpg

mushrooms - 29.jpg

mushrooms - 30.jpg

A lot of these appear to be Suillus, surprised they weren't tacky on the cap....The third one could be Suillus Pictus, the painted bolete....a decent edible but needs a little work on prep ( the cap can be slightly tacky and holds dirt).....I usually pick young ones.....

G

These are all species of Suillus. Quite a bit of work at hand IDing 9 Suillus collections via photo! Best to restrict posts to one species per post to avoid confusion... although the numbering system at least allows one to keep track. Still difficult to tackle. 

Here's my best guesses:

1. S. tomentosus

2. S. lakei var. pseudopictus

3. Same as 2 (I think)

4. S. cavipes

5. S. grisellus (although to my knowledge not reported from MT)

6. S. lakei var. lakei

7. S. tomentosus var. discolor (although the greenish pores don't match)

8. Reminds me of S. grevillei. If correct, there should be larch nearby.

9. Maybe an old beat-up version of #8...? 

Not a lot of confidence here. I don't know the Rocky Mountain Suillus very well. While in MT I have found S. lakei and S. cavipes, two of the more common species out your way.

GJC, S. pictus (now called S. spraguei) is a strictly eastern NA white pone species. It has not been reported from the Rockies. Similar to S. lakei (the "Western Painted Bolete"). 

4 hours ago, Dave W said:

These are all species of Suillus. Quite a bit of work at hand IDing 9 Suillus collections via photo! Best to restrict posts to one species per post to avoid confusion... although the numbering system at least allows one to keep track. Still difficult to tackle. 

Here's my best guesses:

1. S. tomentosus

2. S. lakei var. pseudopictus

3. Same as 2 (I think)

4. S. cavipes

5. S. grisellus (although to my knowledge not reported from MT)

6. S. lakei var. lakei

7. S. tomentosus var. discolor (although the greenish pores don't match)

8. Reminds me of S. grevillei. If correct, there should be larch nearby.

9. Maybe an old beat-up version of #8...? 

Not a lot of confidence here. I don't know the Rocky Mountain Suillus very well. While in MT I have found S. lakei and S. cavipes, two of the more common species out your way.

GJC, S. pictus (now called S. spraguei) is a strictly eastern NA white pone species. It has not been reported from the Rockies. Similar to S. lakei (the "Western Painted Bolete"). 

I realize it's requested to post individually, but I felt like that would probably be spam :s

I didn't quite piece together that the Suillus is a different genus than Bolete.  Even though I feel like I've identified several of these myself and have seen the scientific names.    The common names often contain "bolete" and so I just put them together in my head :) 

Anyways, I just wanted to see what others make of it.  I thought it was more likely that #1 and #3 were more likely to be the same, but I'm open to all input!

#1 and #2 seem very different to me; especially the "blending" of the tubes down into the stipe, the radiating tubes, the ring, and the color differences.

And since these mushrooms are on our property, we have been grooming patches and what is not deemed edible we've been spreading around to areas that don't seem to be fruiting in hopes of spreading spores :D

8 hours ago, GJC said:

A lot of these appear to be Suillus, surprised they weren't tacky on the cap....The third one could be Suillus Pictus, the painted bolete....a decent edible but needs a little work on prep ( the cap can be slightly tacky and holds dirt).....I usually pick young ones.....

G

Yes, oddly every single mushroom, save for this last #9 have been perfectly dry.  Young and old, egg and sporulated.  We haven't had rain in 2 weeks though, don't know if that has anything to do with it?

The only dry-capped Suillus we have here in the East is S. spraguei. But the Rockies get several different types. 

Does #1 have rings on the stalks, or some other evidence of partial veil? The photos appear to show lack thereof. 

"Bolete" is just a common name applied to all fleshy pored mushrooms with centrally attached stalk and flesh that's not woody. Suillus is a type of "bolete". At one time, all boletes had been housed in genus Boletus. Over the years, this genus has been split into many other genera. This is still ongoing, due to the application of DNA analysis. 

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

The only dry-capped Suillus we have here in the East is S. spraguei. But the Rockies get several different types. 

Does #1 have rings on the stalks, or some other evidence of partial veil? The photos appear to show lack thereof. 

"Bolete" is just a common name applied to all fleshy pored mushrooms with centrally attached stalk and flesh that's not woody. Suillus is a type of "bolete". At one time, all boletes had been housed in genus Boletus. Over the years, this genus has been split into many other genera. This is still ongoing, due to the application of DNA analysis. 

I appreciate the info about genus and names :)  Mushrooms sure can be confusing!

#1 has no ring that I can detect.  It's the most common bolete we find.  I couldn't promise which tree it comes from, as I said on another post we can have a larch,  a spruce, a fir, a pine, and more than 1 deciduous tree or shrub within a single 50-100' circle.  One of these growing could be right in the middle of at least 4 different kinds of trees.  And often a single patch will end up having 2-4 apparently different kinds of jacks in it.

We did find a single type here growing OUT OF rotten wood, that's the first I've seen.  Unfortunately they all had to go into the same box, but they had to have been either #4, #5, or #6.  Tempted to say #4.  Can't guarantee though.

My memory also says that it was either #2 or #3 that was growing under alder.  Again, can't guarantee.

First thing I thought when I saw these was "suillus".  Funny, from photos I always seem to recognize this species by the pore shape.  But only from photos.  When I have one in my hand I just can't see it.  Weird.

Young Suillus mushrooms have tighter pores; you may even not see the openings. Also, the Rockies seem to have more of the types with dry scaly caps and large pores.

In forests with mixed trees it's often difficult to pin down tree/mushroom association. 

So I'm suspecting:

#1 & #3 - S. Lakei (douglas fir), #3 being younger specimens?

#4 - S. umbonatus (ponderosa pine)

#7 - fits like S. tomentosus EXCEPT not apparently staining blue/green (however I did find true tomentosus the other day and posted that here).  Slight chance they weren't damaged enough in transit, but the others stained readily...

Otherwise I'm kind of at a loss.  I've been filtering through hundreds of subspecies and thousands of photos.  

I've yet to see a suillus with grey tubes (#5), nor a white + pink/rose cap (#2).

Any chance they're not in the suillus genus?

Suillus grisellus has gray pores/tubes. That's why I suggested it above as a possible ID for #5. See the paragraph below where genus Fuscoboletinus is discussed.

If #1 does not have a partial veil, then it's not S. lakei. The lakei varieties all have a partial veil and the ring or ring zone formed tends to persist. I suggested tomentosus for #1 because it looks like there's no rings or ring zones. I see some brown staining on the pores. NAB says S. tomentosus var. discolor has pores that bruise greenish-blue but this stain then transitions to brown. According to NAB, all the tomentosus varieties --there are several-- have flesh that stains blue after it's sliced. You may need to wait a few minutes for the blue stain the develop. If #1 actually has/had a partial veil, then lakei looks like a possibility. Tomentosus and lakei have general appearance that's similar, except lakei has a pv and tomentosus stains blue. 

My guess is that #2 and #3 are varieties of lakei (NAB lists two varieties). 

Some of your Suillus mushrooms may be classified under genus Fuscoboletinus. I have been told that this genus name no longer applies to any mushroom, and that all the former Fuscoboletinus species have been moved to Suillus (fairly recently). But "Dictionary of the Fungi" at Index Fungorum --a presumably up to date list of all mushroom species-- still lists a few species in this genus. Most field guides still include a few species of Fuscoboletinus. For #5 you may want to check F. grisellus. This would be the same species as Suillus grisellus; there is a lack of agreement about generic placement of this species. 

Suillus lakei often has reddish scales/fibers on the cap surface, giving the cap a red appearance. 

IDing boletes to species is aided by the use of two chemicals... 10% KOH and ammonia. You may use household ammonia, but the KOH (potassium hydroxide) needs to be purchased from a chemical company. Application of a drop of chemical onto the cap, flesh, pores, stipe of a given species causes a predictable color change (in some species... not all).