Transporting mushrooms long way home

I live in central Texas and hunt mushrooms in Colorado and New Mexico, mostly boletes, in August/September for several days and then have to make the fifteen hour road trip back home.  Any tips from others in similar situation on storage and transport to avoid spoilage?  Or doi just need to gather a few and hurry home?

This is what I do with young boletes and a long drive:

1.  Don't cut the base of the stem off, instead twist them out of the ground.  They last longer.

2.  Wrap each in a paper towel, and then put them in a paper bag.

3.  Wrap the paper bags in newspapers, and place in a cooler on top of a plastic garbage bag or sheet, that is on top of the ice.

I know this sounds like a lot to go through, but if I recall a maggot can burrow 6 inches a day in a warm bolete.  In a cold bolete, they may not even hatch!

Good luck hunting!

Chris

Thanks Mushroom Whisperer.  I had received information along those lines, but without the detail you provided.  It makes sense.  Your approach emphasizes temperature.  Do you think ventilation or air circulation as a component of the storage has any merit?

If you can keep them cold with air circulation, that would be ideal.  But I would take cold temperature over air circulation.

Mold is a consideration, but if everything remain fairly dry and cold, this should not be an issue.  If the towels do get wet from the ice or condensation, you can always replace them and re-wrap the boletes.  I've kept bolete buttons for almost a week, without issue.

Take care, and let us know how it goes.

Chris

Boletes and morels.JPG

11 hours ago, CajunShroomer3578 said:

HOT DAM is right !! Sweet score !! That’s probably just a normal everyday haul for you right ????

Well, some days are better than others!  😀

Another option you might consider is slicing them up, cooking them in a pan with a little bit of water, and placing them in zipper top bags on ice.  Should last for several days this way, until you can get them frozen.

I myself would not consider air drying fast enough to retard the growth, and tunneling, of voracious maggots.  But your mileage may vary.

Chris