yellow oysters going crazy in central IA

It must be the year for it, the yellow oysters have been abundant around here - I have had several trees that have been producing massive quantities of lovely golden shrooms for well over a month straight. These oysters are off of the same tree, but taken a month apart. The same dead elm in the middle of Des Moines has lots of growing wood ears, mica inky caps, and other little fungi - my first year looking closely for mushrooms and I hit the jackpot!

IMG_3441.JPG

IMG_3305.JPG

IMG_3443.JPG

On 7/1/2018 at 9:52 PM, Old Oak said:

Very cool! I think those are actually an invasive species of oyster. Dave knows more about it than I.

I think they are in Asian variety, but that would not surprise me that they are invasive. Seems like they are everywhere this year, but they are pretty much only on dead wood

• 2 months later...

Wait, those are edible?! I couldn't positively ID them so I left them alone, but here in Northern IL we had pounds and pounds of them too. The depression in the top of the cap threw me off. The trees they are on kept flushing and flushing.