Chanties and trumpets OH!

Just got home from fishing WY and took a walk around to see what's come up and found my first few chanterelle of the year, only a couple but still found some.  Took a peek at some mossy areas and found my first ever Black Trumpets! Not sure what I want to do with the trumpet yet, ideas?

20180701_143712.jpg

I'm envious!  We don't get many black trumpets here, just a few select locations.  I drove to California to pick them a year and a half ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it!

47 minutes ago, The Mushroom Whisperer said:

I'm envious!  We don't get many black trumpets here, just a few select locations.  I drove to California to pick them a year and a half ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thanks! Spent the last few years trying to find an area for them. Thought i came across some old dried up ones last fall and have tried to go by there once a week since late Spring and sure enough they were there today. Nice fish in the pic btw.  We have been hammering the walleye on Lake Erie this June. Was catching Lake trout and browns on Jackson lake in WY last week. How'd you use your trumpets?

So far I've only added them to gravy and made a black trumpet cream sauce, served over rice.

I've been hoarding them!  Once I get mushrooms dried, it's hard for me to take them back out of the jars.  I was fortunate to be able to pick in the type location for our Western black trumpets, Craterellus calicornucopioides.

Thanks about the walleye!  It was a nice fish, about 14.5 lbs.  Fishing has been pretty decent this spring in Potholes Reservoir.  I'll go out this week, if the crowds and weather cooperate.  

There's still some morels around, too.  I may hunt some of them...hmmm.

The thing about trumpets is that they are highly aromatic but very thin fleshed. Because of this I tend to use them in a way that doesn't emphasize the use of garlic or onions. A very plain omelet or scrambled eggs or maybe steamed with rice or as risotto. Nice finds!