Agaricus I.D.

fgvand943

Hello, I was hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of what species, or at least what group of Agaricus this mushroom is in. Assuming it's Agaricus (I believe it to be from my limited knowledge). The cap has yellow patches on it and the smell was just sort of a general mushroom smell. Although I have since read that crushing the stem will often time give you a better idea of some of the subtleties in the smell. I only sniffed the top of the cap and didn't notice anything chemical or almond-like. The young mushrooms I found had sort of bumpy wrinkled caps. Also, the young specimen still had the brown gills. Not white or pink as I have heard a lot of young Agaricus have. The flesh inside the cap was fairly thick/firm but the stem seemed to tear apart easily and was hollow. Here are some pictures and if there's any other information you'd like I'd be happy to try and provide you with it.

20180623_132937.jpg

20180623_132943.jpg

20180623_132954.jpg

20180623_132957.jpg

20180623_133000.jpg

20180623_133023.jpg

I guess they're sort of yellowish tan brownish sort of patches. Not the pure yellow bruising I've seen in a lot of pictures. I didn't notice any apparent bruising on this although I didn't test the base of the stem which I have since read is sometimes the only part of the mushroom that really bruises. 

True, I didn't notice anything but maybe the faintest discoloration from where the partial veil might have been. This didn't really show up in the pictures. I just wasn't familiar with any other large white mushroom that had this shade of brown on the gills. I read Cortinarius has brown gills, but it's more of a light rusty brown or red clay kind of a color.

On second thought... It looks like the gills may meet the stalk (are not "free"). In this case, the mushroom may represent a species of Agrocybe. Like Agaricus, Agrocybe types have brown spore prints. Some Agrocybe mushrooms develop a ring on the stalk, and some do not. So, I guess we're back to the original point... Trying to ID an old dried up mushroom with ambiguous traits is a dubious undertaking. 

It appeared to me initially that the gills were free because the brown portion of the gills is definitely not attached to the stem. But now that you say that it does look like there is a part of the gills that isn't brown that I didn't notice and it appears they may vaguely attach to the stem.  The free brown gills and vague ring were the main things I was basing my assumption that they were Agaricus on. Seeing now that the gills are probably attached definitely changes that assumption. Agrocybe seems likely. 

I know it's probably futile to really I.D. something this old and dried up but doing a little more research it seems to me it may be something in the Agrocybe praecox group. The macroscopic features seem to match up and they tend to have a bit darker (chocolaty) brown spores as opposed to the more medium brown generally present on Agrocybe. Although I didn't take an actual spore print and I'm sure the color of the gills themselves can affect the apparent shade of the spores.  I have no way of really knowing at this point though. If I see more pop up in my yard I'll try to get them before they get so old/dry. They weren't quite so dry when I first found them but I picked them and put them off to the side initially so I could finish mowing/trimming without damaging them and didn't get my phone to take a picture until I had finished an hour or so later.