Leccinum or Boletus?????

Picked a few more after consulting the homeowner(elderly man)...... After the  explanation of how I research and study wild mushrooms, mostly wild edibles....... he says “You going make you some of that tea”?!?!    Geez ....... lol. 

850982F8-C841-4375-9F3B-13C7BAB46F2D.jpeg

Not a Leccinum. The lack of blue staining, mild taste, and general shape/appearance suggest something close to Boletus edulis. So I think this represents a species that will remain in genus Boletus (even as the genus Boletus gets split into more and more new genera). There is a variety of B. edulis that I find under oak, but I think this is something different. 6th photo down shows a stem with the cap broken off and there appears to be a dark stain on the part where the break occurred.

I don't know this species. Probably something that doesn't occur up here in the northeast. 

First time I ever found a bolete with this shape here in the south. I figured it was somewhere in the B. edulis group. Pretty excited !!! I’ll do a little more searching and maybe pin point it. You’re more than welcomed to post on MO if you’d like 

I did a little more digging and haven’t been able to pin point it. I’ll check some resources in my area  and see if anyone can help  

1 hour ago, troutddicted said:

Prime text book specimens, awesome find 🍄

They were pretty much done in from the bugs. I nibbled a few pieces raw and spat just to experience them. Very pleasant but not enough info to trim away bugs and prepare for eating. Hopefully I’m able to learn more!!!

How are things up north trout?? Morels haven’t shown themselves? Jumping straight to summer foraging?

Dave, I found Boletus alutaceus in the filter and it says “pictured mushroom questionable on ID”. I’m wondering if this is a possible proposal for the pictured mushrooms in this post ? Favors oak .....

For reference on size....... 3-4 days later, before being mowed down, there were some still growing, approximately 5 inches tall and cap 3 inches in diameter. 

Hopefully they will show themselves again so I can collect some material to be analyzed if anyone is interested 

I posted this onto Mushroom Observer  https://mushroomobserver.org/320232?q=PPCq . No specific proposals so far. I'm still wondering about what looks like a  dark stain on the flesh where the stalk meets the cap. Not much info available on Boletus alutaceus. "NA Boletes" says Xerocomus alutaceus is another name. Cajun, I don't think your mushrooms are a species that would be classified under genus Xerocomus. 

Up here in PA it's been a slow start to the summer season. We've had enough rain, but I think chilly nights have held things back (46F outside my front door the other day). I've been out in the woods plenty. The local club here has a project registered with the North American Mycoflora Project. So, I've been out looking for material to include in our project. As for edibles, one of our members south of here says he found chanties, so they're probably gonna start here soon. I found one small patch of Boleteus subcaerulescens about a week ago, but they were riddled with insects. Took home some Butyriboletus brunneus to eat. It's a pretty good edible. This weekend, my wife and I will work our second bioblitz in two weeks. Emphasis is on species diversity at these events. No LBM goes un-examined.

We just had 1.75" rainfall yesterday, and it's raining now. Supposed to be in the 90s Friday through midweek next week. Things should really take off by next week. 

Ahhh Cajun my shrooming year has been slow.  Was up north and checked my morels spots a month ago and found 3.  Thankfully heading up to the cabin again in the next few days, theres reports of kings and leccinum so hoping the get some to dry and some to make a sauce out of 🍄  If the shrooms dont put out I can always go fish for trout or hound for minerals 😀  Really looking forward to the time away