Southern Louisiana seeking Foraging buddies :)

sdubuisson

Hey there, 

My name is Samantha, And I'm interested in fine tuning my mushroom foraging abilities. I have a pretty decent knowledge of wild flora around Southern LA and edible plants, but I really want to become more confident with mushroom species. I know we have chicken of the woods, oysters, sometimes black trumpets, wood ears, and chantrelles around here. I have been IDing them casually for about 2 years but have never consumed any. I wanted to see if any people would be interested in sharing their foraging ideas and introducing me to wild areas in Louisiana. All i know of is start parks where foraging is illegal, and that bums me out-natural areas shouod be a respected resource for all (though i certanly understand why rules are in place). Being a city girl, it's hard for me to determine what is private area and it seems that most nature around our cities are. I've had a lot of luck finding different plant and mushrooms in Clark creek natural area in Mississippi, but that's 2 hours away from me. Not looking to steal anyone's spots, but I would love to have someone willing to show me the ins and outs of country areas in our beautiful state. Willing to compensate as well for your time and effort :)

a friendly hello to everyone! 

Samantha

• 1 month later...

I live on 12 acres, shared with 2 other homes, one with a couple & one with a single gentleman.  The property has some wooded areas, a small pond,  assorted fruit trees, flowering bushes, etc., and a good deal of mostly cleared Area with trees here and there. 

I have no idea if this is a likely scenario for foraging or not.  What I do know is that those of us who live here do not forage, and would not mind a guest doing so. I am a senior citizen and not really in hiking shape. But I would be open to having up to a couplethree folks come out and look around and see if there are things that I would be happy to share that are just going to waste. I enjoy experimenting with ingredients when cooking.

If this property is not suitable, I also have a fair amount of childcare experience and would happily babysit in exchange for wild edibles!  

I just saw a photo of the most immense morels I’ve ever seen, gathered somewhere in the area of my hometown of Moline Illinois. Do they grow  here??? It’s been decades, but I still remember well their wonderful flavor.

marte

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2018 at 10:11 PM, CajunShroomer3578 said:

Welcome!! Nice  to see fellow Louisianaians enjoying what our great state has to offer. Maybe if we’re able to get a sitter me and my better half could take you on a foray. 

Hey there, sorry for such a late response! I would love to get together, and I dont mind kids joining along unless it is a hassle for you! Is there a way to message you directly on these forums?

On 7/22/2018 at 12:46 AM, Marte said:

I live on 12 acres, shared with 2 other homes, one with a couple & one with a single gentleman.  The property has some wooded areas, a small pond,  assorted fruit trees, flowering bushes, etc., and a good deal of mostly cleared Area with trees here and there. 

I have no idea if this is a likely scenario for foraging or not.  What I do know is that those of us who live here do not forage, and would not mind a guest doing so. I am a senior citizen and not really in hiking shape. But I would be open to having up to a couplethree folks come out and look around and see if there are things that I would be happy to share that are just going to waste. I enjoy experimenting with ingredients when cooking.

If this property is not suitable, I also have a fair amount of childcare experience and would happily babysit in exchange for wild edibles!  

I just saw a photo of the most immense morels I’ve ever seen, gathered somewhere in the area of my hometown of Moline Illinois. Do they grow  here??? It’s been decades, but I still remember well their wonderful flavor.

marte

Hey there Marte, 

That sounds like it could be an area for foraging! If i was confident with my ID of things, I would love to share some various plants ans mushrooms! As far as morels go, I dont believe they grow this far South, but I really have no idea. There are a few other noteworthy edibles in Louisiana, though! 

Samantha

On 7/22/2018 at 12:46 AM, Marte said:

marte

Hey ..... also sorry for late response. What part of the state you’re in ?

48 minutes ago, sdubuisson said:

Hey there, sorry for such a late response! I would love to get together, and I dont mind kids joining along unless it is a hassle for you! Is there a way to message you directly on these forums?

Hey there Marte, 

That sounds like it could be an area for foraging! If i was confident with my ID of things, I would love to share some various plants ans mushrooms! As far as morels go, I dont believe they grow this far South, but I really have no idea. There are a few other noteworthy edibles in Louisiana, though! 

Samantha

Oh yes !! That would be way too much right now. We have our hands full. I’m slowly introducing my 3 year old to wild edibles. She’s really interested and happy when I bring things home. 

Yes to messaging. In the main menu at top right there’s a little envelope to start a message 

• 6 months later...
On 9/6/2018 at 6:48 PM, sdubuisson said:

Hey there Marte, 

Samantha

Samantha, I am so sorry; you must think I'm a flake, posting a long message and disappearing. I set it to notify me of replies, but apparently missed them.

I was out yesterday clipping some camellias and assorted volunteer wildflowers to give to a friend, and it looks like the poison ivy is gearing up for a bumper crop this year. :( Anyway, I'm still here, the weather's great, it must be time for me to do some serious research/learning.

Marte

CajunShroomer,

I live in a rural area not far from Covington.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Heey.. Im way late to this post but I am super interested in learning more about wild edibles. I'm pretty solid in my survival skills but really lacking what I can forage. I live near Vernon parish. If anyone is interested hit me up. I would be glad to share my knowledge of the outdoors as well. 337 378 7546.. James

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to call the state parks after eyeballing the regulations.  Some states specifically protect plants and animals, which mushrooms are not.  Also you might have some good wild fruit, persimmons, grapes, pawpaws come to mind.  I'm on the piedmont in Georgia, it's been a rainy summer, and the mushrooms have gone nuts.  Not a lot of calories in them if you're trying to survive, but incredibly tasty and many species simply are not available for sale anywhere, the ones that are I couldn't possibly afford.  My wife and I haven't bought mushrooms since 2007.

• 2 weeks later...