Agaricus campestris? Horse mushroom?

Any clues in the smell? I have found a couple look alikes or bad ones,but the smell always made me leave it. Some where very medical/chemical smelling and some that could have been old where terribly fishy. 

Cool find, I look forward what others say on this one.

I have read about the cogwheel pattern on underside unopened Horse and ring on the stem when opened. Spore print looks like it fits.

Looks like your on the right track Cajun with Andrewii but having never found it myself I'm pretty ignorant on this one.

Cant believe your not into the chants yet your usually teasing everyone with onion bags full by now. I have picked a few handfuls but nothing stellar.

Yeah but I’m still not sure. Patiently waiting on the experts lol

I read there’s a Cortinarius out there that’s pretty similar.... even rust brown spore print. Maybe it only occurs in Australia though. 

Lol sweet potato sacks to be exact. Won’t be long ..... I hope !! 

Very likely a species in the Agaricus campestris group. If it was one of the toxic Agaricus, it would probably have an unpleasant medicinal odor. Additionally, a few of the toxic Agaricus species have caps with lots of dark scales and/or flesh that stains yellow. The young ones seen here show intact partial veil, but the older ones lack rings on the stalks. This is consistent with A. campestris, which has partial veil that collapses onto the stalk and very quickly becomes indistinct. 

Definitely not a species of Cortinarius. 

I don't think scoping the spores will help a whole lot here. Agaricus spores mostly do not not vary much across the genus. 

Thanks Dave !! Been looking forward to adding agaricus to the list.  

Went back to lick more after your reply. Should I be concerned with the the ones with dark scales ? 

Could you provide an example of toxic agaricus with dark scales ? Possibley a link to ME....

I’ll  do more reading after work

Thanks again 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cajun, the ones seen in your photos look like A. campestris to me.

Here's a few observations of toxic Agaricus that I find here in NE NA. A. placomyces  http://mushroomobserver.org/255870?q=P9t7; A. pocillator http://mushroomobserver.org/251176?q=P9t7.  There are edible types that are fairly easy to confuse with these, mainly woodland species of Agaricus. A. campestris is not really all that similar to these types. The west coast has at least one toxic Agaricus that may be mistaken for A. campestris, eg. A. californicus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaricus_californicus

A particularly bothersome species is A. xanthodemus http://www.mushroomexpert.com/agaricus_xanthodermus.html. This is a species that occurs in grassy areas and is not particularly scaly. The yellow staining separates it form the campestris types. Confusion with A. arvensis/crocodilinus types is possible. 

Cajun ,for me it was a very obvious offensive odor. Kinda like rubbing alcohol or acetone. Other cleaning type chemicals come to mind.

Hard to pick any one smell but you will know when you smell it. You won't wanna eat it if it's like the ones I smelled.

So I picked a few more yesterday, same patch/patches,same field. I witnessed at least 20-30 fairy rings with tons of these Agaricus!! Pretty amazing!! The grass was slightly taller around the ringsg (3-4 inches). I’m guessing it’s  the mycelium acting as a fertilizer ??? Just thought it was cool lol

I picked a few older specimens and noticed that they smelt a little different. I wouldn’t say a chemical smell ...... just a heavy mushroomy smell. Also did a scratch test for yellowing on cap and stem on each and every one as I harvested. Zero yellowing at that moment. A couple hours later after getting home the base of the stems on the more mature specimens were a dark brown stain...... is this normal for A. Campestris types ?? 

I meant to take some close ups but forgot.... busy chopping chantys and agaricus for the dryer 

C1234602-D153-4BAA-BC71-EB21DC2D7405.jpeg

B77593C4-2EF6-4909-B83B-253E88262CEB.jpeg

Oh I guess another question would be , will the immature specimens also have this “phenol” smell ??

For me the "phenol" smell is akin to bug spray.....  and strongly so.  But then again I may have sniffed a mushroom that had been sprayed, is that possible?  Either way, I decided that one was no good!

Thanks guys. And gal 

Yes I did with extreme caution. Started off by sampling a small amount. Sautéed in oil , salt and pepper. Pretty darn good. Waited a few days then sautéed the rest and had them with venison burgers :veggiedance: 

I also have a jar full of dehydrated agaricus.... I’ll probably incorporate in a soup. Maybe miso soup or more than likely pho’