L.Volemus....?

MattVa

A new one for me so I want to post it up to get everyones opinion.

Growing-under mixed hard wood/pine on the edges of a heavily washed area.

Latex- is white and stains everything it touches brown in relatively short time.

Taste- neutral,nothing notable.

Smell- Fishy to very Fishy....you know it's on your hands riding home in the truck.

Stem flesh/Cap-  Stem almost looks a little pithy inside but not easily removed maybe my knife is getting dull caused this effect. Flesh staining brown after a few minutes after cross section slice.

IMG_20180608_164546.jpg

IMG_20180608_164235.jpg

IMG_20180608_164733.jpg

IMG_20180608_164641.jpg

I'd call this Lactarius volemus. The fishy odor gets on your fingers and stays there for awhile. So does the brown stain. Some people use rubber gloves to collect this type mushroom. L. hygrophoroides is similar, but has widely-spaced gills and does not stain as much. 

They have a strong flavor, a bit fishy. I like them fried/sauteed with diced onions, sweet peppers, garlic, seasoned, all mixed with rice, and used as a burrito filling (along with anything else you like in a burrito). They're good sauteed and added to a mac & cheese casserole. They combine well with cheese. They're good in tomato sauce for spaghetti. 

Cajun, only 5-6 but decent size .... enough for a meal to feed myself. Also have about 6oz of Chants and a decent gilled bolete I can do something with but wanted to do something to see how these stand on there own.

I fried a piece up in butter,garlic and salt pepper and I'm think something with Shrimp would be good.

Dave, you hit the nail on the head. I give my wife a small piece and she instantly said "taste fishy" but good . I like it too and I can certainly find a way to incorporate it into a burrito or perhaps fish or shrimp tacos.

So you call the "The Three Amigos"?  So far these are my favorites and I can identify them easily.  Seem to grow in the outer reaches of trees drip lines.  Good texture when fried up with onions in butter.  Actually made a risotto last night with some!

Enough flavor in the "Three Amigos" to give a risotto a distinctive character. That's a nice idea. Also, pairing with shrimp sounds good to me. Next time I collect some of these I'll try them in a shrimp curry. Considering both suggestions, I think they'd work well in jambalaya. A couple times I mixed L. volemus with crawfish tail meat for burritos, and this was really good. 

Exactly what are the Three Amigos?... L. volemus, L. hygrophoroides, and... I'm guessing L. corrugis. 

Those are the main three in my guides that list each other as look alikes.  I would imagine that's the three.

I have 5# of frozen crawfish in the freezer and that sounds like a excellent paring. The slight earthy undertones of crawfish just sounds right. All of it sounds like great,tasty ideas.