large bolete non staining

diana

found a few of these today. Large mature, no bugs.  Also one that I believe to be a younger version of the same.  One did have minor staining on stem flesh.

0606181102_HDR.thumb.jpg.9031246cc15886dcca3a6afddfb686e5.jpg

I did ammonia on one cap, right side on next photo is the reaction.

0606181107_HDR.thumb.jpg.3c4ae22c25e14055e5c059cf869cdb11.jpg

Next photo is the one I believe to be a younger version.

0606181105_HDR.thumb.jpg.4b21dcdbdeadf7a9f3723790c8e21147.jpg

And lastly a photo of just the stems.

0606181103_HDR.thumb.jpg.29a6efdc9e84d8dd6aa923b2fbeda1d9.jpg

I think there's also dark blue staining/bruising on the pores (top photo). Any distinctive odor associated with these mushrooms? Also, third photo down, looks like there may be a tiny bit of blue staining on the flesh just beneath the cap cuticle and also possibly a small dot of blue on the sliced tubes.  But otherwise, the sectioned mushroom is non-staining. Sometimes a young version of a blue-stainer may exhibit very little staining.

Is it possible there's more than one species in the photos? 

It's possible that the small one is not the same variety.  All the ones in the top photo I am pretty certain are the same even though the one to the left shows some blueing all the others do not.  They were found in a group.  Yes, the pores stained -- maybe, hard to tell since the tubes had aged from some sort of yellow to a deep olive/brown .  Flesh non staining and dryish.  I'm trying to think of how to describe the texture.  Almost a cross between foam and popcorn (the meaty part of popcorn) but not squeaky on the tooth.  Taste sweet, smell not much of anything.  Very mild clean mushroom smell.  The tubes were free from the stem and ranged between 1/4 to 3/8 inch deep.  Did a spore print and on the mirror it appears tan and when I wipe it with a white piece of paper it's dark olive.  Also, one piece, eww, melted to black tar and was filled with maggots.  Not a welcoming sight to have to clean off the mirror first thing in the morning.

It's also possible that I am trying too hard to find a bolete I can eat!  I also found some good milkcaps, there are 3 orange ones that are good here.  I get them mixed up as to their names but I know them when I see them.  Also eat oysters.  Maybe I should stick with the easy to identify but dang it, I've become fixated on these boletes.  Also want to find a chanterelle, I know the first time I find one I'll see them everywhere.  Any  way it gets me out walking and only a crazy obsession would make someone walk anywhere in Florida in the summer.