umbrella polypore, Again?

As long as you can tell that the stalks unite to become a single large central stalk. The only things that I can think of that looks like this are species of Clitocybula. These tend to fruit in large clusters. But the Clitocybula mushrooms would be readily observable as individual fruit bodies as opposed to Polyporus umbellatus caps being part of one single large entity.  

The only  times I have found P. umbellatus --very few-- it was near beech. 

I haven't found this enough time to have experimented with recipes. I think it wold be good sauteed in oil or butter with onions and/or garlic. When I try to get an idea about taste/texture, this is how I usually start. Grifola frondosa (Sheepshead, Hen of the Woods) is similar, although somewhat meatier. But I think you could prepare Umbrella Polypore similarly to Hen. I think this species may be good cold-pickled; that is blanched and then immersed in chilled seasoned vinegar filled jars and then stored in the fridge for a month or so. I do this with Hen.