Puffball color

I saw some puffballs but was working at the end of the day I went to harvest them and the tops had slightly browned but the interior was still snow white.  I have read that the whole mushroom needs to be white to consume.  Is this true or is a little brown on top ok as long as it's white inside?  Thanks for the help.

It would help if you could identify which exact puffball species that you're referring too. Direct sun or lack of moisture, along with age,  will often result in changes to the colour of mushrooms. Various "puffball" species aren't snow white to begin with, so a few pics or an identification would allow a better response.

ASSUMING that you ; a: actually have correctly identified a "puffball", b: it is in a location free of pesticides/herbicides an outer browning and white interior would indicate it's edible.

Are these the same as the ones in the i.d. forum? If so I'd think that the browning is due to sun or age. If they're still white and firm inside they should be good.

Yes they are the same as the ID page.  They were in direct sunlight.  And no pesticides or anything like that I don't use them because of my dogs.  Thank you for answering!