more boletes

diana

got no reaction to the ammonia.  The cap skin while not easy to peel does taste an almost pleasant sour.  
Couple of the others that I think are the same varity have short bulbous stems.

Diana, if you like, I can copy your photos and create a Mushroom Observer post (or posts for other examples). Maybe we can get some additional opinions. In the meantime, if you routinely dehydrate mushrooms for future use, it may be useful to also dry a few specimens for study. Although Roody and Bessette have spent time documenting mushrooms from Florida, the area still remains fairly underrepresented... not to mention that taxonomy of eastern NA boletes --in general-- is a work in progress. It is not a stretch to say that --to some extent-- EVERYONE is confused about identities of various eastern boletes. 

will do.  I just found another one that I would be almost certain as gold pored bolete.  Still no reaction to ammonia.  Found about 15min ago and attaching the picture.  Pores are a brighter yellow than the picture shows.

0603181719_HDR.thumb.jpg.9e10dcd10cf4f2d8b93fc9c0278e0c66.jpg

If not A. auriporus, then probably a related species. Much remains to be learned about eastern NA boletes. Ranging from south to north the trees/forests transition through different types. The diversity in mycorrhizal mushrooms seems to correlate.

Cool!  I just looked at it.  Either of the two suggested is good enough for me as both are edible.  Next find of these I'm calling "dinner".

And yes, the rules of other states don't apply here in FL for many things that grow.  As far as gardening goes we are a different country.  Mid FL and lower does not follow the rules of any other state.  While geographically and weatherwise we are akin to Houston -- totally different rules.  While I am talking about gardening I'm sure there is a correlation for mushroom growing.  More akin to Asia as far as varieties of plants and vegetables that thrive here.

Why mushroom varieties/studies are underrepresented here may be due to the fact that for the most part this state has not been populated until relatively recent.  The air conditioner has made FL liveable year round.  That and the info age we are now in where we no longer rely on what is taught to us by our elders.  Even though there are quite a few "elders" here, most of them no longer give a damn about anything and all their experience is from somewhere else.   Seems here on the mid-western coast they are all from Michigan.

Funny, here most people stay indoors during the hot and muggy season.  Until last year when I finally decided to take the plunge into wild mushrooms I couldn't handle the heat and humidity.  Funny all last summer I was out wandering in the woods and overgrown lots and expect the same for this year.  Surprisingly I have adapted to the weather though I sometimes overdo it and have to call my husband begging him to come pick me up before I pass out!  And it only took me about 40yrs to go outside in the summer 🤯