I have lost my camera!!!!

That is the only reason I'm not posting pictures right now! While going thru the field near the woodline, I happened to spot something light in color on an old cherry log that's been down for at least ten years! After further examination, I discovered that what I had seen was about 15 pounds of Cincinnatus! 

This log produced in June of last year but I never dreamed it would outdo itself but fruiting on May 14th this year! The top side is very "bleached out" in appearance, but the underside is the normal yellow in color. These things are fresh and as clean as any I have ever found! I haven't seen a single bug hole in any of them yet!

Wish I could find my camera to prove it!

Wade

I know, OK, but what a problem to have! I'm backed up with morels, dryad's and now chickens in the fridg!I just got thru cleaning them. I ended up with three of the plastic ice cream tubs full after they were cleaned. There were more bugs than I thought but still, they were pretty clean! I hadn't realized it until I got started cleaning but the outer edge had been frozen or frost bit. I had to cut back about 1/4 inch of soft brown material but still didn't lose that much! I'm very happy with the find, even if it did set me back a bit from getting the garden in!

Wade

Yes, and especially since the flu tried to kill me during the morel flushes in this area! I only found around 3 dozen at their end here but am very happy to have that!

I can't explain why but this year's Dryad's actually came out tasting good! I'd tried them a couple times and decided they really were not worth chasing but finding fresh ones tempted me to try them again. Cooked them the same way. Garlic butter and onions. They turned out great and I don't know what I did differently!

Wade

We don't have cincinnatus out here, but i'm told that is the best of the chicken flock.  Congrats on your find!I

I just have to be content with morels for now....

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎14 at 7:53 PM, 1shotwade said:

Yes, and especially since the flu tried to kill me during the morel flushes in this area! I only found around 3 dozen at their end here but am very happy to have that!

I can't explain why but this year's Dryad's actually came out tasting good! I'd tried them a couple times and decided they really were not worth chasing but finding fresh ones tempted me to try them again. Cooked them the same way. Garlic butter and onions. They turned out great and I don't know what I did differently!

Wade

Maybe you were hungrier this time...lol. In all seriousness though I find them to be hit and miss as well. Sometimes just the host tree changes the taste a bit.