Not everyone at once

Well, you're definitely never far from a pine tree!  But my favorite burned trees to look around are young Doug firs.  4-8 feet tall, with a thick bed of needles underneath (see pic).  Another favorite is under vine maples.  I found 80 under one dead vine maple yesterday (see picture).  Vine maples probably accounted for at least a third of everything I found. The maple leaves hold a bunch of moisture, like the thick carpet of Doug fir needles.

IMG_20180430_193636855.jpg

IMG_20180430_170349398.jpg

I keep telling my wife that west coast is the place to be! Seems like the best fishing and shrooming is out there haha. Nothing here, can’t even find oysters, been busy trout fishing...bass and carp are starting to wake up, panfish is still hiding somewhere. No big catfish here on LI, only bullheads. Weather rollercoaster should come to an equilibrium soon, it’s been raining plenty, so May, I hope, should be shroomfull. If not, I’m going for stripers.

Yeah, my choice was to fish walleye or pick morels... I figured the walleye would still be there after the morels slow down!

I picked today, and did better than I did Monday!!!

The crazy thing is that there were no other pickers.  I saw two cars go by, but that was it.  Not complaining!

What elevation are they popping at Whispers?  Wife and I have had no luck yet in our local area.  We have been looking around only 1500 ft in the west cascade foothills.  Things are a lot different in oregon than Missouri but we will get someday.

Hi Crazyhammer.  I've been finding them at 2800'-3000', on the warmer slopes.  But I am also picking on the Eastside of the Cascades, in a burn.  I did find some naturals at 3250' a week ago.  Again, on the Eastside, in an area that was warmer than the surrounding forest on different facing slopes.

I just don't think I'm going to get ut for the morels the way it looks!I have one spot I can get to if the rains hold off but this flu has set my recovery back by about 4 months!I'm back to having to rest after walking up the steps to the kitchen!That's very disappointing!

I had to run to the dump today and found 5-6 flushes of Dryad's saddle along the way.I picked couple flushes that were fresh.Some will fry but most are too large so I'm going to try and make mushroom catsup from them.It should be interesting since each variety will give you a different flavor.Have any of y'all tried this?

Wade

I'm pleased to report I actually got out after morels for a bit today. It was hard on me but I survived! Found a couple dozen and to my surprise they were fresh. Looks like we have another week or so of season here.Hope Y'all are gett'n out there kill'n um!

Wade

Thanks for your concern, Wade.

Although I have tasted these, and liked them, this basketful was sent away with my friends for them to enjoy.  They're quite fond of them.

Properly prepared, I wouldn't hesitate to eat them.  That being said, everyone needs to ensure proper identification and education before even considering a Gyromitra species.