Not everyone at once

Ok folks ...... it’s been depressingly slow around here. I’m hoping it’s because everyone has been out and about searching for morels !!! Not much going on here in the south other than seeding and watching my vegetables grow. Went for a walk in the woods Monday and not much fungi to be found. This time of the year isn’t productive for edibles here but it’s spiritual therapy at its finest. Everything is coming alive !!! My better half always enjoys my springtime scoutings. 

Curious as to how everyone is making out this morel season....... not everyone chime in at the same time please 

4218C1E1-847F-4D42-92C0-3D9234AEFD53.jpeg

3E4F9989-4477-42F0-AC49-C7A8502308CF.jpeg

We only got out once and didn't find anything. It has been colder than normal here in PA so I wasn't too worried about looking  for morels. We are just about over for black morel season, but I'm hoping we can find some yellows soon.

Spring is a crazy time for me. Had plans to hunt morels but something always kept me from having time. Spent the 12-15 camping in WVa and spring there looked to be two weeks later (still some snow)than the same week last year. Even the ramps where very young and small.

We fish alot in the spring and thats about the only thing that's been productive. So I have ramps and channel cats ...that's it..lol.

IMG_20180427_092529.jpg

FB_IMG_1524835629827.jpg

Morels should be popping soon here in NE PA. It's been too chilly, but not extremely cold... no frozen ground for the past week or two. Soil temp has just recently come up to where it should be staying >50F at night. Some nice soaking rainfall the other day, followed by a warm sunny day (mid 60Fs). I would have been out there looking this morning, except it's raining! But I'm not complaining. (First commandment of the mushroom enthusiast "Thou shalt not curse the rain".) The buds on the tulip poplars are just opening up within the past day or so. So, I think it may not be too late for a flush of black morels (although this type has been in decline during the past 5-6 years... possibly because our white ash trees have mostly died). Supposed to be chilly on Sunday, but not excessively so. Then 70F-80F with lots of sun next week. I think we'll be nicely set up for a good yellow morel season. I hope to get out there either tomorrow afternoon or sometime Sunday. 

Nice catty, Matt. Are they good eatin'? Quality seems to depend on the water. 

A few years ago I transplanted a bunch of ramps onto my property. Got a few nice patches going. Should be ready to harvest a few next week. I put morels, ramps, and fiddleheads into quiche. 

Sorry to hear about your health problems, Wade. Hope you'll recover and get out there.  

Thanks Dave, me too! The doc said I should be doing better by Saturday but people I talk to say this is a long-lasting flu.Think 6 weeks plus! I'll just do what it takes but it's frustrating.I haven't had to useO2 for a few months now, then this bug got me and I have to stay on it just to breathe.I'll fight the good fight and take what I get!

Wade

Here in southwestern BC, and I'm sure throughout the Pacific Northwest, morels have been popping for a while.  I found my first burn morels on Apr 17 and then picked 18 liters (about 4.5 gallons) last Monday.  Today, I found over a hundred "natural" black morels, but they were mostly pretty small due to recent hot, dry weather.  Rain is in the forecast; so, the picking should remain pretty good.

Dave, you hit the nail on the head with water quality and these fish are excellent and very clean tasting. We are very fortunate to have family property along a small river that has no upstream plants, factorys dumping Merc,pcbs ..ect so no consumption advisory. This river also forms a lake down stream that doubles as a reservoir so water quality is watched closely.

People who don't usually like catfish don't know it's catfish unless we tell them. We also catch a occasional walleye in this river.

Ramps- I transplanted only about 6-7 (some I never cooked)last year and was very surprised to see them come up this year and there is a few new ones too. I figured that at my elevation they wouldn't make it but so far so good.

Sorry to here you have been sick Wade I know you can't wait to back outdoors.

We went out to the woods to take a look with no real expectations. We stopped a the spot where we find our first couple blacks every year and my wife and daughter each  found a small black. This is about two weeks later than normal! We are expecting warm weather for the next few days, so maybe we will be able to manage a few more.

6F21E1BB-6B80-4D6D-95BC-59BECC7F2027.jpeg

For the most part of April the night temperatures still felt like winter here. We didn't find much but I did find my first black morel under black cherry trees. We were fortunate to have a co-worker give us some morels last week.

Thanks, Matt, and you are right.I would live in the woods if I could only stay warm!LOL!We take what life gives us! It does appear I am starting to get over the flu to some degree but most people I know say it'll still be with you 6 weeks out>I hope they are wrong.

I road back along the creek yesterday but didn't see anything. I know a patch on the other side of the creek but we need rain to get them going and when it rains, it's a few days before you can cross. A true "catch 22"!Raim is in the forecast so maybe but this weekend all things will come together.Y'all should be hitting them hard because with the temps rising as they are I fear it'll be a short season!

Wade

On 4/26/2018 at 9:50 AM, 1shotwade said:

I haven't been out. I caught the flu to add to my chronic emphysema and COPD. There's a chance I'll miss the season, or maybe all the rest of them.

Wade

Hope you get feeling better buddy! Get your rest. 

I got my last final on Wednesday then I’m going hard for a week and a half. As long as I can work childcare out I’ll be in the woods. 

Thanks, Oak! Hope you find a truckload to make up for all I'll be leaving in the woods this year!As a side, I just watched a guy make "mushroom catsup" which is more like soy sauce, but very interesting to try.I hope I can come across a couple pounds of something, maybe oysters, to try making this.Sounds like fun.

Wade

After a difficult winter, I was happy to get out and do some mushroom hunting.  Over the last few weeks I found a bunch of verpas, and 52 black naturals, probably M. snyderi.  

Today, on the other hand, I found more in number than I ever have in one day.  I kept 1333!  And left a bunch of little ones to grow up. 

Burn morels.  Dirty work, but fun! 

My picking buddy challenged me to keep count...

Chris

IMG_20180501_032626.jpg

WOW ....... it feels great to see some activity here !!!! Good to know I was the only one checking the site daily waiting on some action lol

1330 ?!?!?! Whisperer..... geez I’m trying to find just 1. Nice haul !! 

I think I may have found someone insane enough to adventure out up north next year to hunt morels  

Hope you get back out soon Wade. 

Thanks, Matt! I'm still not healthy enough to go out. I just went up to moms and was going to check the front creek but just couldn't do it yet.Got back in the truck and back home plugged into the O2.Life happens!

Wade

Mushroom Whisperer, those look like pine needles where the burn morels popped.  I've generally found pine trees to be the most productive associate in burns.  Has that been your experience as well?