Hello from Lake Winola, NEPA

Carole

Hi and thank you for allowing me to join your forum. My name is Carole Neary and I am a professional Homeopath and Herbalist. I recently relocated to NEPA from SoCal, and I'm very excited about the upcoming Morel Season!

Hi Carole. Lake Winola is not very far from my neck 'o the woods.

I may try my early morel spot tomorrow. Not any real high expectations, just a hunch. Black Morels start up around here as early as April 1. (Actually, I found a few March 21, 2012.) It's been consistently chilly around here... until today. Ground's been thawed for awhile, except for maybe the top inch or so on a cold night. 

During the first 2-3 weeks of May I have collected Yellow Morels in old apple orchards. But, VERY IMPORTANTLY some old apple orchards --perhaps mainly large cash crop operations-- were annually treated with the pesticide lead-arsenate during the period 1860-1960. I continue to harvest morels from a few local old/dying orchards. But, I have tested the soil for lead content. (Testing for arsenic requires sending out to a lab.) Results for the soil in small 2-4 acre overgrown local orchards I tested for lead came up showing no reason for concern in any of these particular locations. 

If you start a discussion under "General M D", I'll jump in. Morels are uncommon around here. But, I can offer a few tips on where they may be found.

• 2 weeks later...