Help with crazy looking bolete.

tjardine

I know very little about mushroom ID. Trees and plants are my forte. 

Found this little beauty on a group dog walk (hence no gloves - I washed and sanitised my hands straight after - don’t worry) so did not have my Id book. Not that it would have helped as I’ve been scouring the internet for months. I cannot let this one go.

Found: 5th August, mixed woodland but found in a coniferous patch. Near Aboyne, Aberdeenshire.

Appearance: earthy brown cap, bright red to bright yellow stipe (this stumped all my google searches) staining bright blue turning dark blue/black. Yellow flesh, again staining blue. Deep blood red pores, yellow towards outer edge. Irridecent **i don’t know the word, forgive me** shiny dried sappy patches on the pores.  

1C4C91EB-74A1-4480-BBC2-6055F8A28E8E.jpeg

805970B6-403B-4024-AA54-51C50770E371.jpeg

588D74D0-A09A-4E18-A2CC-A897817396BC.jpeg

03F68040-205F-47C1-9A33-112698CC777E.jpeg

AF3D7D52-B0A8-44C1-AC74-A0E9E69BB07C.jpeg

F9A7E5E1-A3C9-428C-8A1F-8372165F4620.jpeg

1 hour ago, Matt McDermott said:

Not sure because of the Scotland location.  But genus to look at, know to have some worldwide distribution, would be Neoboletus luridiformis. 

Good call Matt! I never thought of that one and the yellow base would lead me to favor your proposal as most likely.

1 hour ago, Matt McDermott said:

Not sure because of the Scotland location.  But genus to look at, know to have some worldwide distribution, would be Neoboletus luridiformis. 

That looks like the one! Or at least is very likely to be. Thanks dude, this has been bothering me for months 👍🏼

15 minutes ago, tjardine said:

That looks like the one! Or at least is very likely to be. Thanks dude, this has been bothering me for months 👍🏼

Not 100% sure, but it sure fits the descriptions, habitat and location possibilities.  Glad it helps point you in a direction.

And great photos as well

The "red-pored boletes" are currently being reclassified into genera other than Boletus, and there is a fair amount of confusion about the names . (Most field guides list these species under genus Boletus.) Species luridiformis looks like a good possibility for this mushroom. According to Wikipedia, this species is now placed in genus Neoboletus   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoboletus_luridiformis. According to Index Fungorum, the genus is Sutorius http://www.speciesfungorum.org/Names/names.asp?strGenus=Neoboletus

Another possibility is Neoboletus erythropus. Here's a link to a page from a website for British fungi that claims erythropus and luridiformis are the same species   http://bioref.lastdragon.org/Boletales/Boletus_erythropus.html . Index Fungorum not only lists each name as representing distinct species, it places them into two different genera! 

Here in North America there's a similarly confusing situation regarding the red-pored boletes (all likely different species from the European ones). There's an array of names that appear to apply to a variety of different NA species that often correlate with different regions within this continent. Mushrooms traditionally classified as Boletus subvelutipes have been getting a lot of attention, and it now appears that at least two taxa have been lumped into this one name. Also, it looks like species subvelutipes, as described by 19th century American mycologist Charles Peck, may end up in genus Sutorius. Peck's type specimen for this species --which is not in good enough condition for either microscopic or DNA analysis-- was found near Caroga Lake, New York. Last summer I visited Caroga Lake in hopes of finding a specimen to replace Peck's material.  http://mushroomobserver.org/285181?q=Gh3p   

Nice photo-documentation, tjardine.