Last August bolete.

bobby b

An interesting bolete growing under a tree in recently added wood chips. It had a tendency to deform, split up and down the stem and when smashed it stained green. It would not give up a spore print. Tried twice. The mycelium looked like it was growing through the wood chips??? Anybody got any ideas?

20170813_160203.jpg

20170809_200423.jpg

20170801_115934.jpg

20170801_120041.jpg

20170809_200639.jpg

20170801_120047.jpg

20170812_114541.jpg

I'm guessing this is a species of one of the following genera: Hortiboletus, Butyriboletus, Xerocomus, Xerocomellus.

Looking at the stalk a second/third/fourth/fifth time, I think the stalk surface is best characterized as "vertically ribbed" (although in the last photo the raised threadlike ornamentation appears to verge on "reticulate"). Based upon the stalk, the bluing, and the young pore surface being bright yellow, my first guess was Xerocomus subtomentosus.   http://www.mushroomexpert.com/xerocomus_subtomentosus.html  . But, the seemingly smooth (glabrous) cap surface, and the intense bluing, do not jive with X. subtomentosus. Also, the cap color is a bit on the red side for subtomentosus. So...? 

An alternative... Hortiboletus rubellus (aka. Xercomellus rubellus) http://www.mushroomexpert.com/xerocomellus_rubellus.html . But, the mushrooms seen in the photos appear to have a shiny/smooth cap surface. H. rubellus --and a few similar Hortiboletus species-- have velvety cap surface. 

Boletus sensibilis is a species that exhibits intense bluing on damaged pores/flesh  http://www.mushroomexpert.com/boletus_sensibilis.html  . But the stalk surfaces seen on the mushrooms in this thread look way wrong for sensibilis. A few similar species fail to match for the same reason. 

I doubt the wood chips are the actual substrate for this bolete. There are a few species of Boletellus that fruit from rotting wood/stumps, and genus Buchwaldoboletus consists of species that are associated with decaying wood. But, this mushroom does not remind me of any of these types. Tylopilus felleus and Imleria badia (Boletus badius) can grow on wood, but the mushrooms seen here most definitely do not represent either of these species. 

Bobby, did you preserve any of this material? What date was it found? What types of trees are in the vicinity? If you create a post on Mushroom Observer, I'm pretty sure you'll get some hits. There are a few very knowledgeable bolete people on MO. If you don't want to join MO, then if you email me the photos --along with a few additional details-- I'll create an observation on MO. Your photo-documentation is very good. 

Virtually all of the species mentioned above are represented as species within genus Boletus in most older field guides. 

My best guess... X. subtomentosus, a somewhat atypical example. 

Hi Dave, I read the comments on MO. Is IGSafonov  proposing the Genus Lanmaoa? Anyway I found more photo's of these boletes from 7-23. The mushrooms were probably sitting around for a couple a days. The staining had faded. You can see tube length relative to cap thickness. ?I identified the tree as a black gum from the leaf photo. Does anybody agree with  that identity? 

20170723_100840.jpg

20170723_100811.jpg

20170723_100549.jpg

Interesting. I'll add a few of these to the MO observation.

I. G. Safonof seems to be leaning toward these mushrooms being what had previously been called Boletus miniato-pallescens. I think he may be correct about this. The intensity of the bluing on the pores/tubes is more that I'd expect with Xerocomus subtomentosus (previously Boletus subtomentosus). Also, as seen in the cross-section photos, the tubes appear to NOT be xerocomoid... That is, the tubes seen in the cross-section appear to be separable form one another; you can see the walls of the tubes very neatly arranged. Xerocomoid tubes rip apart raggedly. So, I think there is decent evidence against X. subtomentosus.

I'm not sure what is I.G.'s point about the ratio of pileal thickness to tube-layer thickness.  I think there may be some confusion here. I'll discuss this with him.

There have been some other red/yellow boletes that bruise/stain strongly blue posted onto MO. I believe there are a few that have been DNA sequenced, and this is likely the reason why I.G. suspects Lanmaoa. (I.G. may have actually paid for the sequencing and analyzed the results.) At any rate, the entity formerly called Boletus miniato-pallescens is probably an unnamed species at this point in time. Yours may represent this unnamed species.   https://www.mycoquebec.org/bas.php?trie=B&l=l&nom=Boletus miniatopallescens / Bolet rouge pâlissant&tag=Boletus miniatopallescens&gro=5

One more thing. Assuming your bolete(s) stained blue on the cut context, then the blue faded and some areas resolved into reddish-brown. I need to research this staining/fading aspect; I've got photos of my own observations showing it. So, I know I've seen it; I just don't recall immediately what group(s) tend to exhibit this trait. 

Welcome to the crazy world of bolete taxonomy :-)