Greetings from South Louisiana

Kingfish58

I don’t believe we have anything specific to south Louisiana. Here are a couple I found that might be helpful 

https://www.amazon.com/Mushrooms-Gulf-Coast-States-Mississippi/dp/1477318151

https://www.amazon.com/Mushrooms-Southeastern-United-States-Bessette/dp/081563112X

Looks like the  Gulf States Mycology website is up to date and active. One day I’ll join. Too much going on now. Just thought I’d share for those interested I seeking likeminded folks 

http://gsmyco.org/home.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 9:11 AM, Shawnsay said:

Can someone recommend a book that features all edible mushrooms in south Louisiana? 

I just picked up Mushrooms of the Gulf Coast States and it seems great.  The Audubon guide apparently had errors and poor reviews.  Hoping to hike the spillway or pearl river soon.  Gonna spread some trimmings from an oyster mushroom harvest.

• 1 month later...

I also just moved to New Orleans would totally love to go out and mushroom hunt with someone. I have an idea for at least a few spots. My email is ethan_hagen2004@yahoo.com. also, i suggest we set them up of the facebook group, its getting active again. https://www.facebook.com/nola.mushroom/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARBZJmE4j-eU2jVqJvuWfKnOIzyqN-uelq8-2oqg_nYzhQE2DFZpxjv2SgOqdW4oSg6uthokSrZORx4o

• 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all, 

Im extremely new to the subject, haven't even forged yet, but just wanted to say hello and I'm from Eunice, not too far from Lafayette or lake Charles. Me and my girl are vegetarians so I just wondered tonight why we never thought of harvesting our own mushrooms? I plan to do a LOT more research before we begin, but happy hunting!

• 4 months later...

Hello all

My partner and I are novices but completely obsessed. We've found practically our weight in Chanterelles of several kinds this year as well as summer oysters, lots of hard to fully ID boletes and a ton of wood ears. Trying to understand milkcaps is our new challenge.

We're in BR and would always be happy to exchange pix and help each other out with IDs and, if COVID slows down, even meet up and do some forays. We haven't joined the Gulf States myco society yet, mostly because COVID wasn't going to allow us to go on the upcoming foray, but its on our list of to-dos. 

Nice to meet you!

Mat

• 3 weeks later...

I have old live oaks on east west and south and a bank of cypress on the edge of bayou Lafourche (preserving my bank) in Thibodaux - Pure shade- I have bright orange trumpet shaped odd shaped mushrooms coming up under the cypress in my lawn- look like chanterelles- ridges from the ground up all the way to the ruffled edges- are these edible?

image.jpg

• 2 months later...

I’ve been using “Simon and Schuster’s Guide to Mushrooms” that you can get on Amazon if you don’t want to support your local Barns and Noble bookstore.  If there is anything I’ve learned is that there is no one stop shopping for identification and edibility, but this guide is pretty close.  It gives you a trail to follow.  A book has only so many photographs to help identify what you come across.  Use the guidebook to narrow into a couple of suspects, and then go in Google and search on the genus/species to see many more pictures that help cement your identification.  Rely on the book for edibility.  Don’t eat any mushroom raw.  Good luck.  

Prime Boletes edulis in Mandeville.  These wonderful eaters came up around some old, downed loblolly pines in late Sept during this rather wet year.  The ochre to maroon cap and white spongiform undercap tells you “eat me!”  Sauté in olive oil with fresh minced garlic and Mrs. Dash.  This is a treasured eater fried alone or cut into small cubes, boil 3 minutes, and add to any gravy.  In UK they might call these penny buns.

E700DBDA-2E91-48B7-BFCE-E24B410DC13C.jpeg

D573914F-5377-4BAD-AEBD-C277B4A37CD5.png

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, I stumbled upon this thread recently and decided to join in. I've been doing some research on Louisiana mushroom identification and am curious to see what you guys find. I hope all is well with you this holiday season. Stay safe and keep us posted!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

GJP SOUTH SHORE refugee🥺 but the NORTH SHORE is where I B🤬
Boy! “oh Boy”. Y’all North shore Cats better  have 9 lives or y’all already be deceased   cause common sense is lacking and the book farts I meant smarts 💨 well hmm…

man don’t eat anything shroomwise unless u know what the it is.. I mean definite!!!   I now live on the Tickfaw river. The state park is directly on other side of river from my property. And watch for Cotton Mouths (poisonous snake)( not meth mouth)in that swamp cause they thick wit em. & you will get lost in them woods faster than you can say “504”  for true be careful 👋
       225 sucks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I work in New Orleans, helping to manage an urban forest. Would anyone be interested in participating in a volunteer clean- up day where we will pick up trash and forage at the same time? I have seen wood ear and turkey tail mushrooms in this area. email mpassman@nocp.org︅ if interested

• 7 months later...
21 hours ago, RJ Martin said:

Can someone I'd these? SE Louisiana. Looks like tiny paper thin pale lavender umbrellas!

IMG_20220903_092622.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprinellus_disseminatus  Fairy Inkcap.  Not an eater according to Simon and Schuster Guide to Mushrooms,  p. 225.  Best to look up multiple pictures in web search of common or scientific names.

• 1 year later...

Hi, new here. My husband and I hunt and eat meat off our land and grow our own veggies and fruits. 

We do not know the differences in mushrooms on our property and wanting to learn more. 

We want to get involved in a bit of foraging with others more knowledgeable than ourselves. Any help is appreciated. 

Any help is appreciated