Greetings from South Louisiana

Kingfish58

Hello all. I became obsessed with foraging for wild mushrooms when I stumbled upon some wild chanterelles while hiking in Mississippi about 4 years ago. After researching and making certain of the ID, I've since learned how abundant they are and have developed several spots that provide me with an abundant supply during the season. Problem is, they are the only wild mushroom I am 100% comfortable with the ID and consuming. Hoping to learn more here to expand my knowledge!

Lot's of rain down here last summer-some of these were as big as my hand.

IMG_2043.JPG

Welcome aboard!! Very nice to see some other folks here from Louisiana. I joined few years back with similar situation. Since then, with the help of these folks,I’ve IDed many more species with enough confidence and knowledge  to harvest for the table. Nothing like wild game and wild mushrooms in the swamp. South Louisiana has lots to offer, enjoy!! Just a couple of my finds last year.

E73DD422-3035-4618-A6C6-FFA46583F981.jpeg

70B63C08-EA28-459A-B855-C322877AD556.jpeg

F97D4A1F-69C3-43EF-A38E-39DC3B795652.jpeg

Thanks for the welcome CS35, and for the pictures.

What's that 1st picture of? Also, that last picture are oysters, right? I've seen then in the wild, but again, just a little unsure to pick and eat. They are also very buggy when I've come across them. Looking at the snow, let me guess, is that December 8th 2017? 

Your guess is as good as mine. Very little info about this subject. I’ve heard that they may exist in Tunica Hills but not sure how true that is. I’ve hunted Sicily Island a bit and came up empty handed. Maybe one of these years I’ll locate some 🤷🏼‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So excited to see posts from Southeastern Louisiana people! My hubby & I have been hunting for mushrooms for a couple years on & off. Was lucky to meet a fellow hunter in Tickfaw State Park about 3/4 years ago. He was forging for Chants and taught us to properly ID them. We have been hunting for them sence. Just across our property fence are wet land forests that we forge on with permission from owner. We have found lots of small mushrooms but not sure on their ID yet. We take pictures the spend lots of time looking on sites and books, lets not forget google to verify what we are seeing. 

Oysters are up and growing even close to our house. Turkeys are in abundance we are waiting to find Chickens and Lobsters. We are sure on these but finding them has been very slow. Hope this helps you on y’all hunts. With all the rain lately looks great for picking! 

From inbetween Denham Springs & Hammond, LA. area.. 😉 🍄 

Some we found right next to our front porch! Loved these sautéed butter, onion, garlic & cream sauce over pasta! Yummy 😋 

10CE0DED-923E-4D38-BB48-7881D4FB7C1E.jpeg

0E366749-5466-455D-84DE-FF5D39404223.jpeg

5D6B7078-D028-46DD-8879-262C2074004D.jpeg

7D5D57B8-5401-4779-9EDA-4A1B58EDB971.jpeg

34DAB916-9CD8-4A32-87A3-B0AAFA188747.jpeg

FB6B22D9-13A0-4C84-9FE2-16A9AC6A30A2.jpeg

D6C99F6D-00E5-4D2D-96E6-871AAE6FAE18.jpeg

I'm very new at this and live in the greater New Orleans area.   Yah let's start a southeast LA group!  Very nice to know there are others in our area.  If anyone can suggest a general area to search around here (say within 50 miles) it would be greatly appreciated.  --without giving away any secrets spots of course. :)

Anyway nice to know ya'll.

I hear around Hammond and Slidell the chantys are thick. It’s a matter of finding public land. National Forest and local parks(beware of parks that spray poison). All state parks are off limits.  Kitsachie National Forest is pretty productive but that’s a little ways from you guys. Also hunting season is about to get kicked off there so I wouldn’t advise going until after February or March. 

As far as groups in the area..... I contacted The Gulf States Mycology Club... But didn’t get much  of a response. They’re based out of Texas I believe and do most foraging in Western Louisiana and east Texas. 

I promise that we’ll get a group together next summer and hit Kisatchie..... I wanted to do something this year but we have had our hands full ...... a newborn in February and a wedding next month. Stay tuned and hopefully it’ll happen. 

Great and thanks for the tips.  Kisatchie sounds good for later.  I'll research some other areas and keep ya'll posted also.  I think the Pearl River Wildlife Mgt area may be a possibility.  Private land seems like it would be the best.  Shywiles sure had some beauties there.  Anyone else has some ideas let us know.  Anybody know if the state parks in Mississippi are also off limits?

On 9/9/2018 at 9:42 AM, CajunShroomer3578 said:

Lol ..... it is very comforting to know I’m not the only one 

I thought we had no one around our neck of the woods. We have been looking for forays around the state found one but looks like no one is running it. We do good with hands on help from people with knowledge of mushrooms, good & bad. 

I will check at Tackfaw State Park to see if mushrooms are allowed to be harvested there! It is a beautiful swampy very nice park you pay to get in by car not how many ppl. Had cabins, tent sites, think even MH, & RV’s. They have a very long and lovely boardwalk with sitting areas along the way to the river! I will post our finding asap on this thread. Would love to join a group that is closer to home. 

• 3 months later...

I have my hands pretty full with life right now. All good things just super busy.

Post your finds in the identification section and the more detailed you are with pictures and descriptions the closer we can come to a positive ID. 

• 8 months later...

Hey everyone, I’m interested in gathering wild mushrooms for eating! I’m new here, but if anyone is interested I think we should make a group of people in southern Louisiana to meet up & look for mushrooms once in a blue moon. I’m sure we could learn a ton from each other!

I agree. Just when I thought life couldn’t get any busier with the kids, we’re having number 4 in October!!! I’ve only been out and about a handful of times this year. Mostly local and private lands. We definitely need to keep this thread going. Hopefully next year it’ll happen. 

I found these parasols early Sept in Sunset Park, Mandeville; a local public area that is not a state park. These dessert-plate-sized beauties were in large fairy rings.  I researched edibility and seemed good to go.  Discarded stems, cut caps into large pieces, mixed liberally with Vidalia onion rings, fresh crushed garlic, tablespoon of fresh ground peppercorns and tablespoon of Mrs Dash. Aroma and taste wonderful.  Woke up alive.

321338B4-007A-4CEE-A39C-D66396426D2C.jpeg

Boletes is common in woodlands and meadows of southern Louisiana.  It cap is smooth and tan to light brown popping up any time after August.  Boletes is identified by absence of gills.  Instead it looks spongy and cellular.  Some YouTube videos report that if meat turns blue it is not edible. I’ve eaten Boletes of this type found locally, cooked of course, to no ill effect. This one found in a dry ditch in Mandeville along the “rails to trails” St Tammany Trace.  It was very fresh and flesh did not turn blue. For this fellow it was 1 hour from trail to omelette.

404EA081-B952-45AD-9BBE-AC0B124F606F.jpeg

D283DC54-C697-4356-AEB5-D5CF94FFE161.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 6:33 PM, Versailles said:

Hey everyone, I’m interested in gathering wild mushrooms for eating! I’m new here, but if anyone is interested I think we should make a group of people in southern Louisiana to meet up & look for mushrooms once in a blue moon. I’m sure we could learn a ton from each other!

I'm new also and I live in Lafayette I'm looking for someone to help teach me.

• 3 weeks later...