Hericium I believe, but what variety

diana

Couple of years ago we had a dying sweet gum tree removed but saved the logs.  Almost immediately they starting producing what at the time I believed to be the "gum" of the sweet gum tree.  I gave it a taste/try and it was not a gum, wasn't chewy.  It wasn't till last year when I finally took the plunge into mushroom id-ing that I realized that it is a mushroom/fungus.  I do believe it to be a relative of lion's mane.  Close but no cigar.  The spines are too close together.  So close that it looks solid.  Almost a deep velvet pile.   (this same tree's logs are also my oyster producer)  Below is a picture on the log.  One of the sliced off mushroom.  And one of a small piece with the spines splayed (please excuse the condition of my nails)  The has a pleasant mushroom smell.  Don't have any idea how to do a spore print on something like this :unsure:

0219180939_HDR.jpg

0223180909a_HDR.jpg

0224180716_HDR.jpg

Need to see the underside of the cap. But, based upon the stated presence of spines, I think this is a species of Climacodon, maybe C. pulcherrimus   http://www.mushroomexpert.com/climacodon_pulcherrimus.html  . Not a Hericium. 

Spore print collection for a polypore/toothed mushroom is basically done the same way as for a gilled mushroom. Place the mushroom onto the collection surface(s) with the fertile surface oriented downward. Mushrooms like polypores and Climacodon persist in situ for a long time. Spores are released periodically, or maybe just very slowly. If you're lucky, you end up with a useful print, but it may take several days to form and may be thin. 

• Second photo is actually the underside.  Wouldn't actually call the top surface a "cap" as it is more of a mass.  I took another picture yesterday morning, the thing is oozing.  I did follow the link you provided and it almost fits.  It's the top that has the "teeth" or more of a super-plush nap.  The bottom ??? Does it have a bottom since it's more of a blob?  Where it attaches to the wood and that surface is more of a gristle-like texture.
  • .HbBdZ2gzQuFqD_LDBqIdqJnrkAC50BWEj8JVSyNbCVCrFR4Mk1J0jgBxM2sihygzkVlrdYAjJM_XVrAzo1QeHEQaegCaOsfdy5kGxH5V7ptOk9LDmoxFmBkumG_kSwjxhqvVRKogapXmBLWcTOkN5GsG8xQj6s5fNDgysyhelBWG24OohCvLAKQ1VVeVB-vSZNkGNewTD9PUWCZLztzG_BikEqUxu0RrYfHOTUhBXH_74jv4HRZuEVf3-PEgToGQ_aPIuYlSZK0zwzRWW1xmh0CaqLfrBZD2LX6erBQuZqiWxYVd-txVH1VlUxOw15vtUIQc63XHkyw70wTbPEgPvRaTvy5SsBCCithK2gaklC1ML1BJsSRS2rGy0PAWjQ9IOta6kG_ClLZ37xakp3v7etbxWNlGnSEr4zvR81Y0xBjsBTLbLAXwlVFyGarc5Ma0nvXMg_HKPsXT3HFdIshNK6YD0D54Sh46WcRagJlqGSGPDbMnCq8RoIChi7IZjZZomkCeE-NBABSXBjy7tGFwIq5pb5uX2Z1_GHC2Sz9PFuSZozCSJDGuK6OYduPQzxC8GrD-vPSnpKWEiaCUdkXRP25Ih9oFVUGe4Xg9Xj4=w479-h639-no
  •  

The fungus is seen growing on a log in the first photo. The "topside" is photographed. By this I mean we see the surface oriented upward. The "underside" faces the ground. Is the underside composed of spines/spikes? I'm assuming this, based upon your Hericum ID proposal, diana. But, I doubt very much this is a species of Hericium. 

I do believe that you are indeed correct that it is climacodon.  I'm just confused as to how to differentiate top and bottom  as they are the same in this case.  The "growth" is more of a dome.  All parts not connected to the log are the same makeup.  While the outward facing surfaces don't appear to be spines/spikes at first glance, the surface can be forced apart into such.  Kind of akin to a super full broom or mop.  

I am just amazed at the growth of this thing!  I have tried to get some kind of a spore print but so far nothing.  As I mentioned, at first we thought it was the gum of the sweetgum tree as it appeared first at the cut edge of the log.  Actually tried it, wasn't chewy like gum :lol:

If you section the "dome" vertically, you will see subtle differences in the types of context that make it up. The hymenium (fertile surface) is the surface that faces downward while the mushroom is still attached to the log. This is the part that can be forced apart into bristle-like spines. This is likely an immature version of a Climacodon pulcherrimus fruit body, which is why a spore print did not form, and also why it is somewhat ambiguous distinguishing between "upper" and "lower" surfaces. As the mushroom matures, it spreads out and becomes thinner. Mushroom Expert says that the spines on C. pulcherrimus are "fairly tightly packed", which jives with your description.