Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bake Jusa

Can anyone tell me what kind of mushroom this is?

Recommended Posts

So my dog MAY have eaten this mushroom. I would just like to know if it's something to worry about. Also, IF it is poisonous, what are the symptoms to look out for, and how long will it take for them to appear? Also, I dont know if it helps to give my geography, but we're in Houston, Texas.




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

These mushrooms are a species of Russula. The flesh is brittle with these types; the stalk snaps apart like a piece of chalk (provided it doesn't crumble in your fingers when you attempt to break it). Lots of different red-capped species of Russula. 

For humans, some Russula species can cause gastrointestinal distress that generally pass within a day. The ones that are troublesome mostly have a bitter/acrid taste. It's okay to nibble a small piece of Russula cap and spit out the material (to evaluate the taste). If your dog has eaten mushrooms of an undesirable species of Russula, then I think it's not a real big problem. But, if your dog appears to be sick, a trip to the vet is probably a good idea. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this