Jump to content

Can anyone tell me what kind of mushroom this is?

Bake Jusa

Recommended Posts

So my dog MAY have eaten this mushroom. I would just like to know if it's something to worry about. Also, IF it is poisonous, what are the symptoms to look out for, and how long will it take for them to appear? Also, I dont know if it helps to give my geography, but we're in Houston, Texas.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

These mushrooms are a species of Russula. The flesh is brittle with these types; the stalk snaps apart like a piece of chalk (provided it doesn't crumble in your fingers when you attempt to break it). Lots of different red-capped species of Russula. 

For humans, some Russula species can cause gastrointestinal distress that generally pass within a day. The ones that are troublesome mostly have a bitter/acrid taste. It's okay to nibble a small piece of Russula cap and spit out the material (to evaluate the taste). If your dog has eaten mushrooms of an undesirable species of Russula, then I think it's not a real big problem. But, if your dog appears to be sick, a trip to the vet is probably a good idea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.