wild lookin' bolete

diana

Looks like there's some blue staining on the cut flesh, which --if true-- should make it relatively easy to ID this Suillus (presumably a Suillus). But, I've come up empty trying to find a match. Theb stem seems to be covered in sand/soil, which makes it difficult to get a read on the its surface, and whether or not there are remnants of a partial veil. Trees?

I don't believe there was any remnants of a veil and I seem to remember the trees as oak.  Can't be sure on the trees though.  With a choice of two being the usual (oak or pine) it's easy to forget which and I was lost with my phone at 20%.  I do need to remember that I am terrible at remembering.  Add to that a husband who tends to hurry me when I stop to observe, photo or whatever.  I'm going to have to put my foot down, either he quits whining or I leave him at home.

Ha! Part of my personal exercise program is to allow my wife to get a hundred yards ahead of me while I photograph a mushroom along the trail. The double-time catch ups are a good workout. 

Maybe not a Suillus. There's not much overlap between the types of boletes that occur in FL and up here in PA. This is almost certainly a species I haven't ever observed first-hand. In the Boletes of Eastern NA book I found another possibility, Xerocomus pseudoboletinus (mentioned in comments under Xerocomus hypoxanthus). X. pseudoboletinus is a FL species. I haven't found much info on it, but there is a MyCoPortal page representing one observation  http://mycoportal.org/portal/taxa/index.php?taxon=563473  which was found in scrub oak + pine woods. BENA says X. pseudoboletinus has yellow flesh that may stain slightly greenish (which appears to possibly be the case with the mushroom being considered). Also, X. hypoxanthus is another FL species that associates with oak. The one thing seen in the mushroom under consideration that seems to not fit genus Xerocomus is the cap surface, which appears to consist of an substantial/intact sticky/tacky cuticle. With Xerocomus I would expect a dry cap surface featuring a thin cuticle prone to cracking. Maybe the one seen here was just wet...? 

Yes, the cuticle is the skin covering the cap surface.

Looking at some online photos of X. hypoxanthus, I don't think yours is this species. Still wondering about X. pseudoboletinus. But, overall, this still reminds me mostly of Suillus.