Please help identifying? (New member)

lovemychickens

Found these mushrooms near the house, they're orange/yellow/brown, caps around 2-3 inches in diameter, light yellow gills, no ring, and grow in large clusters on the ground. Caps have flattened out as of late, after a few days of light rain, but when I first noticed them they were more conically shaped. I cut one's stem open with a shovel, it was hollow inside and relatively easy to cut. Climate is California coastal redwoods. Thank you in advance!IMG_20180111_164625786_HDR.thumb.jpg.1bc62f2f4281cb092641d352b63a0433.jpg

IMG_20180113_135524094_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180113_135508393_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180113_135225735.jpg

IMG_20180111_164614788_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180109_170955934_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I suspect diana is thinking about suggesting genus Hebeloma. I agree, it's a possibility. But I think the clustered growth in an ornamental garden --probably includes spread wood chips-- favors a saprobic species. (Hebelomas are mycorrhizal... at least I *think* they all are.) Maybe a species of Tubaria? Maybe Pholiota? Maybe Agrocybe? I don't recognize these.

But... wondering if the 6th photo (last one) shows a different species. The shiny yellow caps look like they may be kinda slimy/viscid. Do the gills/stems for these look the same as the others? Probably all the same, but it wouldn't hurt to check. 

Spore print color would possibly help here. If there's any reason to further suspect two different species, then printing several different mushrooms would be a good idea. 

2 minutes ago, Dave W said:

I suspect diana is thinking about suggesting genus Hebeloma. I agree, it's a possibility. But I think the clustered growth in an ornamental garden --probably includes spread wood chips-- favors a saprobic species. (Hebelomas are mycorrhizal... at least I *think* they all are.) Maybe a species of Tubaria? Maybe Pholiota? Maybe Agrocybe? I don't recognize these.

But... wondering if the 6th photo (last one) shows a different species. The shiny yellow caps look like they may be kinda slimy/viscid. Do the gills/stems for these look the same as the others? Probably all the same, but it wouldn't hurt to check. 

Spore print color would possibly help here. If there's any reason to further suspect two different species, then printing several different mushrooms would be a good idea. 

I'm almost positive the ones in the last picture are the same as the rest, I just took that picture while it was raining. I'll try to conduct a spore test, though I've never done one before... Thank you so much for the help

Take a cap. Cut off the stem. Lie the cap, gills down, so that half the cap is on a black surface and the other half on a white surface. Non-porous surfaces are best. If you can't find black/white smooth hard surfaces, then aluminum foil is a good alternative... or a clear glass microscope slide. Allow at least 12 hours for the print to form, but it may take as long as two or three days. Best to place the mushroom being printed in an area where there's no draft and not much activity. Many sources recommend placing an inverted cup over the mushroom being printed. But I have found that this practice can cause moisture to accumulate under the mushroom, which may either hinder the spore drop or alter the appearance of the spore drop. 

On 1/14/2018 at 6:41 PM, Dave W said:

Take a cap. Cut off the stem. Lie the cap, gills down, so that half the cap is on a black surface and the other half on a white surface. Non-porous surfaces are best. If you can't find black/white smooth hard surfaces, then aluminum foil is a good alternative... or a clear glass microscope slide. Allow at least 12 hours for the print to form, but it may take as long as two or three days. Best to place the mushroom being printed in an area where there's no draft and not much activity. Many sources recommend placing an inverted cup over the mushroom being printed. But I have found that this practice can cause moisture to accumulate under the mushroom, which may either hinder the spore drop or alter the appearance of the spore drop. 

This is what it looked like after 2 days when I took the cup off and flipped the cap over, does this provide anything? It was a little more orangey and less yellow in real life

IMG_20180118_190305407.jpg

IMG_20180118_185514198.jpg

Spore print is too yellow for either Hebeloma or Agrocybe. Another genus worth considering is Pholiotina. But with a large group of mushrooms of this type there should be at least a few with a noticeable ring on the stalk. Also, Pholiotina stalks tend to be more slender, and the spore print is apt to be a little darker.

It's possible there's something else I'm failing to consider. Otherwise I think we can narrow it down to Pholiota or Tubaria.

Pholiota is a large genus with species that vary quite a bit, most with spore prints that are more brown than what is seen here.

The type of habitat here --ornamental area with wood chips-- favors Tubaria. The only thing that seems unusual for Tubaria is that none of the caps seem to show any whitish velar remnants along the margin. But, this typical Tubaria trait may be lost due to rainfall. So, my best guess is Tubaria. 

Hmmm... When I view this spore print on a different computer monitor than previously, it appears to show more orange/rust than I originally perceived. In this case, genus Gymnopilus may also be considered. But I still think Tubaria here.

If you have access to a 400x microscope, then scoping the spores will probably settle the Tubaria/Gymnopilus question. The spores from mushrooms of these two genera look quite a bit different. Tubaria spores are smooth with a large round central "oil drop" visible through the wall. Gymnopilus spores are shaped like mangoes and have wrinkled/warty exteriors. 

I should also mention... I doubt these mushrooms represent a species of Galerina. But, I cannot say with absolute certainty that genus Galerina may be eliminated from consideration. Some species of Galerina are deadly poisonous if consumed.