My Very First Mushroom

Okay, found these guys growing next to an old fence right after a rain. I'm reasonably certain they're common field mushrooms (agaricus campestris) but figured I'd better get a second opinion before I accidentally kill myself.

t7iqol.jpg

4totbs.jpg

169222r.jpg

Sorry if they pictures aren't the greatest, I kind of sort of mangled the better specimens when first examining them before it occurred to me to grab a camera. Doesn't change color with bruising, and while I didn't get a decent shot of the rings, they're up near the cap and slide right off.

Welcome to the forum! These mushrooms certainly look like A. campestris, but I've only found that species in grassy meadows, especially ones that have been grazed by cattle. Did you smell them? Some Agaricus species have a distinctive odor. Some of the other members might have a better idea if these are meadow mushrooms.

Welcome to the forum! These mushrooms certainly look like A. campestris, but I've only found that species in grassy meadows, especially ones that have been grazed by cattle. Did you smell them? Some Agaricus species have a distinctive odor. Some of the other members might have a better idea if these are meadow mushrooms.

Thanks! :)

IIRC the smell wasn't very strong, not much different than regular grocery store mushrooms. This was one of the only shady areas in a big grassy yard, and Wikipedia claims they do pop up in places like that. I went back just a little while ago and all the gills had turned dark brown, so I'm pretty confident I was right about them now. Too late to eat them now, but at least I nabbed a ton of asiatic dayflower from the same area so it was a useful trip.

I'll have to keep an eye on that spot next time we get a good rain in case some fresh ones pop up...but sadly this isn't a very mushroom friendly climate so there's just no telling.

Depending upon where one finds them (region), an Agaricus mushroom may be toxic; probably not deadly, but a sickener. Most of the bad types have a medicinal or inky odor that is usually fairly strong. But some people have a weak sense of smell. Also, there are a few Agaricus species for which the flesh or the cap bruises yellow. Some of these are good to eat, and some are not. It's risky to advise someone to eat an Agaricus mushroom based upon seeing a photo of the mushroom. But, if the ones you find do not stain yellow, do not have a chemical odor, and do have a pleasant almondy odor, then cautiously trying a small piece (fried) is the way to proceed. Some of the Agaricus species are good edibles; best eaten before the gills get dark brown. Amanita species can look similar. Agrocybe species can look similar. And some Stropharia species can look similar.

Thanks for the advice, guys. What I'll probably do is wait until they pop up again and try to get an oldtimer to identify them before cooking and trying a piece. There doesn't really seem to be anyone in my town into mushrooms the way you guys are but if they're field mushrooms I know a lot of people around here (my grandmother on my mother's side, for instance) used to eat them when they were kids when they were a lot more common.

"Oldtimers" are often a source for good mushroom info. That is, someone experienced in collecting the wild mushrooms available in your geographic area can be an excellent teacher. But keep in mind.... if the particular oldtimer has not actually been out in the woods hunting for more than a few years...

If there is a wild mushroom club in your area, then you should certainly join.

I think I am with Luigi on this one. They sound like agaricus and they sorta look like agaricus but something isnt right. The ring shouldnt slide off cleanly and I dont like the long sorta spindly and not straight stem.Perhaps an agaricus I am unfamiliar with but I doubt I would eat it.

I would bet twenty dollars (my personal limit) that the two mushrooms with the gills showing are each Agaricus. The crowded gills appear to be free of the stalk, and the color-stages are well within the expectation for the genus. There are lots of types of Agaricus; Phillips lists about 30 species on the website "Rogers Mushrooms". The link is to one species presentation for which the photos show a wide range in color for the gills, as well as a somewhat fleeting ring (annulus on the stalk).

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5475~gid~~source~gallerydefault.asp

This is not to say that I believe the mushrooms pictured are A. andrewii... actually, probably not. The stems in the ones shown are too long and curvy. With some exceptions, Agaricus can be difficult to pin down to species... even when the mushroom is in hand, let alone just by photo.