Help Identify!

NightCrow

This is an interesting Amanita. I *think* I see a striate cap margin (ie. lines/indentations along the margin of the cap surface), a trait which points toward subgenus Amanita (of genus Amanita). Subgenus Amanita is further subdivided into three sections: Vaginatae, Caesareae, and Amanita. My first guess here is Amanita section Vaginatae. But the really interesting thing here is the material deposited on the stalk. Typically, material forming a ring on the stalk of an Amanita comes from the partial veil, a covering over the gills that remains intact until the cap expands. But, with only a few rare exceptions, species from section Vaginatae do not have partial veil. Mushrooms from Amanita section Caesareae are similar to the Vaginatae with the main difference being that the "Caesars" have a partial veil that forms a ring on the stalk. So, then why don't I think this mushroom is a Caesar? Shape and color of the cap seem more reminiscent of Vaginatae, and the graying deposits of the universal veil (seen on cap) also point to Vagianate. My guess is the "deposits" seen on this stalk are material peeling away from the stalk surface and/or a piece of universal veil that broke away and stuck to the stalk. (UV material on Amanita mushrooms often gets deposited both on the cap and on the base of the stalk.) 

What time of year was this mushroom found? 

I'd say there's a good chance this mushroom represents the species Amanita rhacopus, or maybe one of the species close to rhacopus. https://www.mycoquebec.org/bas.php?trie=A&l=l&nom=Amanita rhacopus Y. Lamoureux nom. prov. / Amanite à pied déguenillé&tag=Amanita rhacopus&gro=13

23 hours ago, Dave W said:

This is an interesting Amanita. I *think* I see a striate cap margin (ie. lines/indentations along the margin of the cap surface), a trait which points toward subgenus Amanita (of genus Amanita). Subgenus Amanita is further subdivided into three sections: Vaginatae, Caesareae, and Amanita. My first guess here is Amanita section Vaginatae. But the really interesting thing here is the material deposited on the stalk. Typically, material forming a ring on the stalk of an Amanita comes from the partial veil, a covering over the gills that remains intact until the cap expands. But, with only a few rare exceptions, species from section Vaginatae do not have partial veil. Mushrooms from Amanita section Caesareae are similar to the Vaginatae with the main difference being that the "Caesars" have a partial veil that forms a ring on the stalk. So, then why don't I think this mushroom is a Caesar? Shape and color of the cap seem more reminiscent of Vaginatae, and the graying deposits of the universal veil (seen on cap) also point to Vagianate. My guess is the "deposits" seen on this stalk are material peeling away from the stalk surface and/or a piece of universal veil that broke away and stuck to the stalk. (UV material on Amanita mushrooms often gets deposited both on the cap and on the base of the stalk.) 

What time of year was this mushroom found? 

I'd say there's a good chance this mushroom represents the species Amanita rhacopus, or maybe one of the species close to rhacopus. https://www.mycoquebec.org/bas.php?trie=A&l=l&nom=Amanita rhacopus Y. Lamoureux nom. prov. / Amanite à pied déguenillé&tag=Amanita rhacopus&gro=13

All the mushrooms I've posted in my posts were found in autumn

Many Amanitas have a long fruiting season, beginning in late spring or early summer and persisting into autumn. 

Looking at this one again, it appears the basal volva may be intact and white. Was there a white sack-like membranous basal volva? If so, then this would be strong evidence against A. rhacopus as the species ID. But, I still think this is something from section Vaginatae.