My own mushroom field guide with illustrations ☺️

Nkr

So excited to start this new hobby/interest. To help me learn the diagnostics of mushroom identification, my husband and I went out this weekend and collected various mushrooms so I can practice identifying using various guides I just received in the mail (I particularly like Audubon). I started my own journal/guide with sketches notes and photos to keep track of the ones I have identified so far:) 

CD84C7EE-A6C8-40F6-8CFA-1F935AF62E5F.jpeg

12F99A35-D5F6-4966-A84F-0D2037B98FB9.jpeg

image.jpg

Very cool illustrations! 

That is a great way to learn new things. I’m taking an anatomy course right now and there is a resource called “draw it to know it” that has helped me a lot. Really helps to solidify structures in you memory. 

• 1 month later...

I want to add that what you are doing is brilliant. A well done drawing is much better than a photo because with a drawing you can emphasize key identification features that dont show very well in a photo. Drawing the mushroom and making your own field notes will also help you to remember it over time. Dont stop keeping the work up to date. I know 2 people who have been doing this for years and their collection of work is just stunning and it is incredibly useful when it comes to making an identification. Interestingly, when I get into an identification discussion with one of them with a mushroom in front of us I am always impressed by the number of important features they can point to which help nail the idea. Remember that you dont have to draw 300 mushrooms the first year and it will be better to take your time and get it right. Sadly I cant draw a straight line with a ruler or I would have started doing this years ago.