I want this mushrooms so bad!

Lily

Technically, the matsutake mushrooms can grow in PA. I have searched many places around my area, but found no matsutake mushrooms at all. I'm wondering at where, what time these mushrooms appear? It is said that the matsutake mushrooms were the only survivors of all  organisms  after WWII Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I know the State of Maine has matsutake mushrooms. I'm hoping we have matsutakes in PA too. 

Picture from internet ↓

lHQ3nb8f2yz6B-hMtoE3Qe040aWk5CCvWEX3A636vLtzEujZ1YhHHzEk9SkqRF1SslkvoxTluk-JBwiBS4Li26oGITPMCI2McUXgw9aPrhVOB9B81DlU_NyucIq8WqLjdDlfMOwO

2 things I always want to do, 1rst is to go to Maine hunting mutsutakes;  2nd is to go to Sandy Creek NY fishing for Fall salmon. But I don't have time. The only vacation time I get is 10 days on Christmas. Matsutakes hunting is around  September. A friend told me, he can find matsutakes 50-100LBS in one day in Maine! 

Making fun of Kims (Kim Fatty I, Kim Fatty II, and  Kim Fatty the Third ) is a good entertainment on Chinese social media. I remember after Kim Fatty II died, there was a joke about Kims, the Fatty III holding a cup of Meadjohnson milk said to his father the Fatty II, " Please drink this milk, I'll tell you a good news." After the Fatty II finished the Meadjohnson milk, the Fatty III announced," I will be the new king of the North Korea." (One time the Meadjohnson milk had problem...)

White Matsutake is found (eastern NA) in October in both the Pine Barrens of New Jersey as well as in the pine forests of Cape Cod. I have never found this type mushroom in PA. There is a similar species that I do sometimes find in PA,  Tricholoma caligatum, which is sometimes called "Brown Matsutake". But the ones I find in PA are invariably bitter/inedible. 

In my opinion, the American Matsutake, Tricholoma magnivelare, is overrated.  I usually find lots of them nearby and give most of them away to a Korean friend.  Both my wife and I dislike the strong flavor and will only eat them in very small quantities to minimize their impact.  I experimented with reducing the strength of the flavor, by drying or parboiling them, but nothing made them mild enough to eat in quantity.  Adding a single thin slice to a plate is OK, but I prefer mushrooms that have an inherently good flavor.

At least the aroma/flavor is very distinctive; and, once you have smelled one, you will never mistake a Matsutake for any other mushroom.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:39 PM, vitog said:

In my opinion, the American Matsutake, Tricholoma magnivelare, is overrated.  I usually find lots of them nearby and give most of them away to a Korean friend.  Both my wife and I dislike the strong flavor and will only eat them in very small quantities to minimize their impact.  I experimented with reducing the strength of the flavor, by drying or parboiling them, but nothing made them mild enough to eat in quantity.  Adding a single thin slice to a plate is OK, but I prefer mushrooms that have an inherently good flavor.

At least the aroma/flavor is very distinctive; and, once you have smelled one, you will never mistake a Matsutake for any other mushroom.

The maginivelare is not like a regular mushroom for sure. It is great used sparingly though.