Shroomers, Would you like to talk about .....

Lily

Mushroom hunting is fun, it also can be very dangerous. When we are in the wildness, in the mountains, and  in the woods, You never know what problem you'll  encounter to. We need to protect ourselves from potential dangers. We want everyone is sound and safe.

In the past summer on my mushroom hunting trips, I was stung 3 times by some kinda hornets. I went to work even couldn't be able to use my right hands. It swelled up like a big round soft pretzel bun. I was sent back home from work. My coworkers had a laugh and sorry for me. Another time, I almost stepped on a snake. I fell on my butt couple of times, I grabbed a branch to prevent from further slidding.... I realized  that  if I go mushroom hunting, not only grab a basket, but also need some good protectional tools like a walking stick ( also can be used to  push snake away...), a Knife( with sheath be better), ankle guards....( if someone is allergic to bee or wasp stings, it can be life threatening, you need to bring a bee sting allergy kit with you ........etc. )

What is your idea?

Where to buy these equips ?

What else do we shroomers need? 

5a1ecebe98e2a_1.thumb.jpg.96ab579e58886fb2c4088dee14437eb2.jpg

What I take with me depends on where I'm going and how far. Sometimes I'm less than 100 yards from the truck, and sometimes I'm a ways up in the mountains.

One fear here is running into a female bear with cubs. I've seen a few bears while out hunting mushrooms, but not with cubs, yet. If I feel there's a better chance of it because of where I'm going, I may carry a pistol and/or big knife.

But I'm much more concerned about ticks and Lyme disease. I had it once pretty bad, and don't ever want to go through that again. I spray my boots and clothes with Sawyers Permethrin, exposed skin with bug spray, wear light colored brush pants because ticks can't hang on to them too good and they're easily seen. I also carry a walking stick with a Y on it down low which I use to push down or aside weeds and such where you just know they're hanging there waiting for ya to brush up against them.

A cell/smart phone in case of emergency, for Google maps, compass... and of course camera.

20 hours ago, Staveshaver said:

One fear here is running into a female bear with cubs. 

I'm much more concerned about ticks and Lyme disease.

Stave, Running into a female bear with cubs, that's  totally awesome!   I never was that lucky. All I saw were bear's dung.

I knew couple of guys have Lyme disease. THAT IS PAINFULL. glad you get  back on your feet again! One time, I followed an American Idian guy went to pick meadow tea. I was sitting in grass to take a break. I felt my ankle was itching, I saw ticks  swarmed crawling on my legs... I was lucky!!!!!!!! Thank GOD!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, MyShrooms said:

I personally feel like it's not too bad... crossing the street is dangerous too, getting into an Uber car is. I feel more unsafe on my bike riding next to a car than hiking in the woods. 

Everthing has its both sides. To avoid the potential dangers before people get hurt is my concern.  

Running into a female bear with cubs is not awesome - its not as cute and cuddly as one may think.  A male moose in rut is a serious threat here as well.  I carry a big knife with me and next year will be buying a bright orange ball cap to wear so some idiot wont mistake me for a deer.  Im located in a tick hotspot where the threat of lyme is real and always look myself over after being out.  I make the effort of making noise when Im out alone deep in the woods to give any large animal a heads up that Im around - cool thread, look forward to see what others have to say.

I’d also say ticks. I’ve had a few kinda freaky run ins with big bucks bedded down in tall grass. I walk right by them and the explode out of the grass on a couple feet away. More cool than dangerous. Apparently mountain lions are getting closer to my area as well. 

You would think that ticks would be a real problem here in FL but unlike all the other bugs they are not so numerous.  Really freaked out berry picking up in NC.  Talk about the heeby-jeebies!  Snakes!  I carry a walking stick/camping shovel to part the weeds.  Also bring my dogs sometimes to spook for me.  And unlike other outdoor food finding adventures I can talk all I want to, even sing loudly and off key.  Mushrooms are not easily scared away.  But besides snakes I worry about loose pit bulls.