Good Catch on Black Friday

Lily

The Sun was warm, the sky was blue. I was pleased by the waether on such a Black Friday after Thanksgiving  Day. Deciding to enjoy the outdoor I took my mushroom basket with me happily drove on the winding country road. 

This place like a home to me. Mountains around here formed a little basin where is the deciduous and conifers mixed forest. A stream babbling through the trees nearby. There are  all kinds of wild mushrooms I can find here all year round. 

This time, I found 3 LBS the Winter Oysters mushrooms along with other mushrooms. Winter Oysters are  meaty, thicker than the Summer Oysters. Some of them even are growing in frozen ice. It is bug free; not true;  occasionally, you can see the die hard slug's holes; ( I'm a die hard shroomer too:D)  or deer, squirrel  chewed. Other than that, they are very clean. 

WinterOysters5.thumb.jpg.e8f16a146164ddda0cea5fa0513fa4ee.jpg

WinterOysters6.thumb.jpg.1aa56ae73dc727082259554adfa10102.jpg

WinterOysters7.thumb.jpg.555b8e071fbd64c57998fcf3a8f1ad52.jpg

WinterOysters4.jpg

WinterOysters3.thumb.jpg.77d87b0bbb2ba9b20e8764a7a3b836c2.jpg

WinterOysters1.thumb.jpg.ed1175fb8244fbcb7aaa33c29df3439d.jpg

I  like go mountains, woods  instead of going to crowded places.  I was in China, every day like American Black Friday's mall. I had enough of it, that's why I enjoy my life here. 

Those "Winter Oysters" are also called "Late Fall Oysters". They are not related to actual Oyster Mushrooms (Pleurotus species). The Late Fall/Winter Oysters are Panellus serotinus. Some sources say they are not that good to eat, but I like them. They have a nice texture and go well in stir-fry dishes. 

Some years, even after the Panellus serotinus has disappeared, there are Pleurotus mushrooms (true Oyster Mushrooms). This happens when the winter starts out warmer than normal. Last year, and especially winter 2015-16, there were Pleurotus mushrooms until the middle of January. 

Dave, stew them with mutton are good. I added  some Chinese flavour pack ( hot spicy) .  This is the only way I eat my Winter Oysters.  It is not tough to chew anymore.