Mushrooms ID please

galiceano

Hi galiceano and welcome to the board! I see you are from France? Is that right? Your mushroom looks like some species of Leccinum but I can't say for certain which one. It is very difficult to identify a mushroom positively but just photos alone. We could use more information about this such as the habitat where it was growing, what kind of trees were present? Does it stain blue when cut? Most red pored boletes are not good to eat. The scabrous stalk does look like Leccinum so that would be a good place to start. European mushrooms are different from the US mushrooms so I'm not sure if we will be that much help for you, but perhaps some of our other members will chime in. Thank you for posting your beautiful boletes and hopefully we can help you with an ID.

Actually, if you look at the zoom-in on the stalk of the one mushroom, the stalk is covered with reticulations (a net-like pattern) and not scabers (dots). There are a few possible genera for this mushroom... Boletus, Retiboletus, Tylopilus, Chalciporus.... I do not recognize this type from any on my collecting, or from any pictures/descriptions in any of my manuals. So I'm guessing this species does not occur in North America, or at least in the northern half of North America.

Interesting specimen.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm from Slovakia and this is completely new to me, too. So I had to do some quick research. My best guess is boletus lupinus. I can't say if it's edible, because it's scarce and protected in Slovakia and so no information about edibility is provided (a new, comprehensive guide is on the way, hasn't arrived yet though). However, it has been confirmed to grow in France. Other candidates are: boletus luteocupreus, boletus rhodoxanthus and boletus torosus. Like Dave said, we'll need more information. A photo of one of these halved will do, with your description of the colour changes the meat undergoes when cut and a spore print might be necessary, too.

Definitely not leccinum though, and I don't suspect tylopilus either.

You have some species of mushrooms that are protected and some which are not? I live in Canada and have never heard of any place where that happened. Can you tell us how that works? Are there mushroom police to enforce this?

Yes, some species are protected, that means they cannot be killed/picked or you might be fined. This is because they're endangered here. This includes some animals (like chamois), plants, and unfortunately some of the best mushroom species, notably amanita ceasarea, and some species of truffles. Truffles used to be plentiful in Slovakia in the past, but since here mushroom hunting has a strong tradition, most species of truffle have been hunted to extinction or endangerment (with the exception of one, which isn't said to be very good). Perhaps the same happened to amanita ceasarea. I, too, like many kinds, started mushroom hunting at a young age (like four year old or so) with my grandfather (and some xerocomus, russula and not-madly-coloured boletus species even alone near our summer cottage).

As for the enforcement of the law, I don't know how that works. I think we usually respect the law when it comes to mushrooms, so I haven't heard about anyone pickling a protected species and being fined. After all, there are plenty of plentiful species to choose from.

I've read in Mushrooms Demystified that in USA and UK, people are afraid of eating and hunting wild mushrooms. Is that true of Canada, too? Maybe that's the reason there are no protected species in Canada?

@galiceano: I looked up boletus lupinus elsewhere and, as I suspected, it's inedible.

Canadians with a western European heritage generally are not enthusiastic mushroom pickers. I think there is some fear of wild mushrooms in this group but that likely has cultural roots. We also have a very large population of people with an eastern European and Italian heritage and this segment of the population are active mushroom pickers. Probably 80% of our mushroom picking happens in September and early October when honey mushrooms, Tricholoma equestre, and the Leccinums fruit heavily.Most of Canada is unpopulated forest land and I think that no one has considered mushrooms as being over picked so we have no protected mushrooms. In densely populated areas of the country we often see local governments completely ban mushroom picking in public forests. They say this is to protect tree seedlings from being trampled by mushroom pickers (yet horse and bicycle riding is allowed). I think the truth is that large numbers of mushroom pickers often leave a mess behind (so do people fishing and hunting) and the local governments do not want do deal with the clean up so they simply ban the activity.Some public forests in populated areas are picked very heavily especially on weekends.