Top 5

So, with snow on the ground there aren't  many mushrooms left to chase. I log in every day to see new and interesting posts, but as winter sets in, they get fewer and fewer....... So I thought I would recycle an old post I had read on here before and ask what everyone's current favorite edible 5 wild mushrooms are.   Feel free to list top 10 if you want.  Hope you all post.  

1. B. edulis (and the close types of bolete)

2. Hericium americanum

3. Oysters (any of the types)

4. Clitocybe nuda

5. Grifola frondosa

Hard to say,  as long as they don't poison killing me, I like them all. If I have to make the top 5,or 10 out of all, I'd say:

1. Bicolor  boletes 

2. Black morels

3. Chanterelles

4. Monkey head (Hericium erinaceus/ lion's mane /pom pom ...) 

5. Maitake (Hen of the woods) 

----------------------

1. Coral mushrooms

2. Oysters

3. King boletes (Porcini)   

4. Quilted Green Russula

5. lobster

6. Dryad's Saddle

7. Purple-gilled Laccaria..........( better texture than blewitts )

Pretty hard for me to pick a order. I have a tendency to like what is available.

Chanterelle

Black Trumpets

Hedgehogs

King Boletes(all of them to date)

Oysters (winter)

I did not include Morels because I have only found them a few times. Hard for me to pick so I kinda based it off availability and prevalence too. Definitely a list that will change over and over.

1 hour ago, troutddicted said:

Awesome thread.  Mine are...

Shaggy manes

Chants

Trumpets

Slippery jacks

Leccinum - red scabers

... in that order, I think

I ate red - cap scabers before. I didn't like the slimy taste. Please reas here: http://leslieland.com/2009/07/wild-mushroom-warning-the-scaber-stalks-leccinum-species-may-no-longer-be-considered-safe/

Truish B. edulis whilst I was in Wales
Hericium erinaceus  because of it's versatility
Hedgehogs, so many different subspecies now mine are almost too tasty
Bi Color group boletes
Flammulina velutipes which thankfully are fruiting well in Ohio now. Easily overlooked as a tasty edible.

Since I only recently began eating wild mushrooms other than Maitake and Morels, it's not like I've eaten 20+ varieties and have just 5 favorites. I've eaten several and can't say that I DISliked any. Each has unique flavor and texture I appreciate. Of them, my top five would be.

1. Morel

2. Chantrelle

3. Maitake

4. Oyster

5. Hedgehog

11 hours ago, MyShrooms said:

Refreshing post idea! I'm browsing for inspiration ;)

You and my brother do the same things! My brother is an artist in china. You give me the idea I'd ask my brother drawing me a mushroom T-shirt! 

Hedgehogs

King Boletes

Chanterelles

Leccinums

Shaggy Manes

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎25 at 8:35 AM, Lily said:

I ate red - cap scabers before. I didn't like the slimy taste. Please reas here: http://leslieland.com/2009/07/wild-mushroom-warning-the-scaber-stalks-leccinum-species-may-no-longer-be-considered-safe/

I have been eating leccinums for years to no ill effect, as have many others here. I did not find them slimy in any way, in fact, they crisp up beautifully when fried in my experience. I have read this article but there is a lot of debate about the validity of it's findings. Leccinums are a bit of a controversial mushroom at the moment because of this publication, but I know of no one who has gotten anything more than gastric distress from them after not cooking thoroughly.

26 minutes ago, GCn15 said:

Hedgehogs

King Boletes

Chanterelles

Leccinums

Shaggy Manes

I have been eating leccinums for years to no ill effect, as have many others here. I did not find them slimy in any way, in fact, they crisp up beautifully when fried in my experience. I have read this article but there is a lot of debate about the validity of it's findings. Leccinums are a bit of a controversial mushroom at the moment because of this publication, but I know of no one who has gotten anything more than gastric distress from them after not cooking thoroughly.

Not sure lots of things. My hubby's friend's friend Jesse can't eat Chanterelles since he got Lyme disease. But before he loved Chanterelles. Yes, you are right, we should cook wild mushrooms thoroughly. In China YUNNAN province, bicolored boletes if didn't cook well , it gives people hallucinating. Every year when summer starts hospital in YunNan China are busy! I love 2 colored boletes too. I eat with cautions, very nervous.