ID Help

AbleAndReckless

Gonna throw two different ones in here, since I'm not sure if they're the same just at different stages of growth. Both we're growing by themselves with no other ones in sight. The more pale one was near the bank of a swampy area, the reddish one was just growing in leaf litter/partial shade. Couldn't get a good pic of the underside of red one without pulling it out, sorry. Any ideas appreciated. 

IMG_5872.jpg

IMG_5873.jpg

IMG_5887.jpg

IMG_5888.JPG

Yes, they are Russula. I'll taste a tiny bite, see if it taste peppery. 

In russula family, I'd like to pick the red ones with the hollow, red stem taste not peppery, and another one the cap is greenish. This pic from Chinese blog. I also found the same russula in Susquehanna river bank.  I have some dried from my summer mushroom hunting. I'll use them to cook chicken broth, then use the broth cook rice noddles,. yummy!

5a0dc4fa775f9_.jpg.67c023569291f16d97ca32e1441a9682.jpg

5a0dc4e79cd7b_.jpg.df958fb8e0ec3c6f0dfa26e5cab247e7.jpg

A&R, both mushrooms represent species of Russula. Same species...? Maybe, maybe not. As Lily points out, some of the red-capped Russulas are bitter/acrid, and others taste mild. Even after one makes this distinction, IDing red Russulas to species is very difficult. 

I haven't used the red Russulas I find here in PA as food (with the one exception being the xerampelina types, which smell like raw shrimp). There's an orange-capped species I like, Russula barlae.

Like vitog says, some Russula species contain toxins that can make a person become ill. 

Dave, http://www.svims.ca/council/illust/Russula bicolor 1 Michael Beug.htm  ------- have you ever seen Russula bicolor?   

The red capped and taste rather mild Russulas are very popular in China. Fresh picking worth 200 U.S Dollars a pound.

Lily, I just checked Mushroom Observer for Russula bicolor observations. Most of them come from western North America, with a few others coming from Ontario Canada. A few of the people who found it say the taste is acrid (acidic, unpleasant). One field guide I have also says the taste is acrid (Mushrooms of North America by Roger Phillips). There are many species of red-capped Russula that have white stem. Are you certain the one that's a popular edible is R. bicolor? 

I'm not sure I saw the R. bicolor in my area. I found the red ones that has red cap, red stem and stem was hollow . It  appears in June, July, August and early September  the same seasons in China too. It just lookalike Chinese one that is very popular. I tasted it. It was not acrid or peppery. One time I boiled it. I immediately loved the smell, and the broth was so sweet.