Reaction to eating mushroom selection - blewits etc.

simonx

Hi there,

I bought a selection box of mushrooms from Turnips in Borough Market (London) on Saturday morning, plus half a cep, hopefully I have managed to attach a photo of them.

Included, I think, were oyster mushrooms, half a king oyster, chanterelles, wood blewit, horn of plenty (I think, i.e. the black one), cauliflower fungus, one I call hedgehog mushroom (at the bottom of the picture, next to the cep), at the top are some sort of oriental-looking small mushrooms no idea.

I fried them carefully in butter  & olive oil on Saturday night, one type at a time to ensure all pieces cooked, before mixing them together to continue frying. This next bit isn't relevant, but we had them on garlic-rubbed sourdough toast and they were one of the most delicious meals I've had! Alcohol (wine & beer) also consumed.

Sunday I felt shivery all day and couldn't warm up. Since Monday (i.e. 3 days so far) I've felt okay but had diarrhoea (also woke up with a headache today, cleared in the afternoon).

My wife doesn't seem affected, although she is developing a cold.

I assume I am having a reaction to the mushrooms, maybe one in particular, or maybe the combination and/or quantity. Individually I think I've had all types before except the blewitt, horn of plenty and the oriental one.  Certainly haven't had such a mixture before, or any in that quantity. Oh I didn't exactly get the chanterelles spotlessly clean, I guess that could be a possible cause?

If this isn't a unique reaction, any thoughts on more likely cause(s)? I'm confident they were all cooked. The blewit, assuming that's what it is, was well fried but from reading seems the most likely?

Thanks .... Simon.

mushroombox.jpg

Hi! Simon. I don't know about other culture. I was born and rised in China. I was told never eat mixed mushrooms. Eat one type at a time. luckily,you and your family all are ok! 

Thanks Lily that is probably good advice, my wife has an issue with seafood, any particular seafood is fine but combinations can cause violent vomitting/diarrhoea.

I have been in touch with the greengrocers to confirm the mushroom types, which are:

"Pied Blue (what you have called blewit),  Black Trumpet (horn of plenty), Coral Mushroom, Girolle (orange one – wild), King Oyster, Brown Wild Shimeiji, Oyster, Enoki

I still suspect the blewit / pied-blue as it can cause reactions raw - even though it was well cooked, it shows that it can have a reaction. If anyone else is aware of which most commonly can cause reactions, it'd be appreciated as I don't want to limit my options too much for the future. For now here's a picture of my dinner ....

mushroom_dinner.jpg

Simon,  I didn't feel well (my stomatch got a little bit upset, nothing major)  when I ate a little more blewitts, or ate older blewitts.  I fan dried some blewitts, I didn't cook yet. They were so cute underneath  the hemlock trees, I couldn't help to pick them up. I also heard that when you eat blewitts, don't drink wine or beer. 

In your first pic, above blewitt, the tiny ones. Are they called velvet foot mushroom? 

12 hours ago, vitog said:

Lily,  Enoki is the cultivated version of the Velvet Foot mushroom, Flammulina velutipes.

Thank you! I googled Enoki, it says 金针菇 Jin Zhen Gu in Chinese which is cultivated white clusters of little mushrooms. 

But some call 金针菇 Flammulina velutipes (Jinzhengu). 5a0eeef11ef1b_.jpg.d9023c0b5cabc87768767407351ef412.jpg