Sulfur Tuft?

diana

Not much found lately...... Lost our shade trees in Irma.  Have been searching the wooded lot next door.  Funny, my yard still produces more!  I was all excited when I snuck around the fence to get these.  From the distance I thought they were honeys but as soon as I got close the difference was obvious.  Anyway, I am going with Sulfur Tuft.  Just want confirmation so that I can pat myself on the back because I do feel that I am getting the hang of this.  Note - I do know that they ST is poisonous.  Scary how the growth habit is very much like Armillaria species.  I have been finding ringless honeys and a few others but not anything in quantity.

1029171817.jpg

1029171816.jpg

"Brick Caps" (Hypholoma lateritium... H. sublateritium in many guides) is a possibility here. It grows on wood of hardwood trees. H. capnoides is very similar, but grows on coniferous wood rather than hardwood. I don' think these are H. fasciculare (Sulphut Tuft), as this species usually shows more yellow/green on the young gills. H. subviride, like Matt said is a southern NA species. Internet photos that allege to show this species feature varying colors on the cap/stem/gills. The ones seen here look to be very young, so getting a confident proposal on exact species is likely elusive here. But I think Hypholoma is the correct genus.

Diana... even scarier how the growth habit of Galerina marginata is similar to Honeys.

Maybe not evident in the photo but the stems were bright yellow and did not fade to red. No staining either.  Spore print was a purple/brown.  How would you ever be confident that it was a brick cap and not the other?  Too close to call for me at this point.  I have too much to live for.  Aw crap, and I thought I nailed it!  The more you learn the more you find out you know nothing!!

I know Dave!  I have found what I believe to be Galerina across the creek!  Spore print a shade of brown - I need to write things down.  Always think I will remember but....  I think I took pictures.  If I can find them I'll post in another thread just for confirmation.  Also think I found a laughing gym a while ago.  Nice looking mushroom.  Hearty looking.   Nice dijon mustard color.  Corky texture.  Brown spore print.  I so wanted that one to be edible.  Got to watch that.  Sometimes you want something enough that you convince yourself that you see what you want to see.

Found a perfect looking mushroom.  Looked like the perfect King Bolete only no reticulation.  Can't think of the name but the look a like that starts with an H is listed as found in FL.  Wasn't going to risk it.  Couldn't post at the time but it killed me to throw it away!

Bright yellow stems suggests either H. fasciculare or H. subviride. H. fasciculare (Sulphur Tuft) usually shows green/yellow on the gills. 

Here in NE PA H. lateritium (Brick Caps) is a very common species. It is not particularly difficult to learn to ID this type mushroom. Caps are brick-red, there is no yellow on the cap/stem/gills, and the wood it's found on is often identifiable as some type of hardwood. Gills go from whitish when young, to grayish, to dark gray, without a yellow/green stage. 

Boletus edulis look-alike that starts with "H"... Do you mean B. huronensis? I doubt this species occurs in FL. It's a northern NA species that grows under hemlock. I've never found it in PA, but I have found it in Maine. 

Yes, B. huronensis.  According to the bolete filter it does occur in FL.  hmmm, maybe I have a picture it certainly had a tide mark on the stipe.  I did take a small nibble and spit.  Sweet.

Okay, you say brick cap has no yellow?  The above mushrooms had yellow.  Yellow stems, cap kind of ochre in center fading to yellow at edges.  Gills greenish gray.

okay, went onto the overgrown lot next door to see if there were any more.  Not easy to do since DH captured a photo of a coral snake in our yard on Friday.  He's not in my yard now so he could very well be next door.  Didn't find him but did see more of the what I am calling "sulfur tufts".  Pictures a bit washed out but I'm sticking with my id unless someone can point out why I am wrong.  Yellow caps and stipe.  Approximately 2 to 2.5 inches across.  Gills green leaning to gray.  I'd call the color dirty sage.   I did read on mushroom expert that ST is a northern species and only rarely grows on oak.  These are growing on oak roots from a tree that has split and half has fallen.  But... there is a 1113171231a.thumb.jpg.815f9d217ebe8220c4ae3139ea390d65.jpgvariety that does grow in FL and Cuba that is smaller than the northern one.

I think these may be H. subviride, which is seemingly a SE NA version of H. fasciculare. Not sure about the toxicity of H. subviride, but I'd assume it is similar to H. fasciculare, toxic. As far as I know, the species called "Sulphur Tuft" is H. fasciculare, but "common" names are often applied differently on a regional basis. So it may be the case that H. subviride is also called "Sulphur Tuft" in areas where it is found. 

Most of the NA mushroom field guides do not provide adequate treatment for species found in Florida. But there is a field guide specific to SE USA, Mushrooms of the Southeastern United States... http://www.syracuseuniversitypress.syr.edu/spring-2007/mushrooms-southeastern.html  . I would imagine this book provides more information on mushrooms found in Florida than any of the other comprehensive NA field guides. 

On 11/13/2017 at 7:23 AM, diana said:

Yes, B. huronensis.  According to the bolete filter it does occur in FL.  hmmm, maybe I have a picture it certainly had a tide mark on the stipe.  I did take a small nibble and spit.  Sweet.

Did you find any pics of this?  I would be very interested to see.  I saw on the online filter they were reported to have been found in FLA.  Did you notice the blue staining on the pores/flesh?

Here's a few pics of Boletus huronensis I found in Acadia National Park, Maine, August 2014 . The pores bruised tannish at first, before the bruise changed to light blue. There were a few small areas of light blue staining on the cut flesh. The stalk was not reticulate. 5a0b8812999a4_BoletushuronensisANPME8-101.thumb.JPG.4b8048dda48eedd7da813a3c0b8e0569.JPG5a0b883300049_BoletushuronensisANPME8-104.thumb.JPG.8013b57f65b3b8f94c65cf01639fae02.JPG5a0b884d8ed1a_BoletushuronensisANPME8-106.thumb.JPG.1fa075f15c7034343e096bee7a35251a.JPG

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

Here's a few pics of Boletus huronensis I found in Acadia National Park, Maine, August 2014 . The pores bruised tannish at first, before the bruise changed to light blue. There were a few small areas of light blue staining on the cut flesh. The stalk was not reticulate. 

Thanks. Have you observed these outside of Maine?

The one B. huronensis I found in Maine has been the only example I have IDed as this species. But, I have seen this species displayed on the table at NEMF forays. There were a few other examples seen on the display table at 2014 NEMF, which was held in Maine. This species is listed as a northern NA type. Here is a link to all the Mushroom Observer posts of B. huronensis. http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/observation_search?pattern=Boletus+huronensis  There are several from Maine, several from Connecticut, and a few from Canada. Bill Yule (expert on New England boletes) says that B. huronensis is common along the Salmon River, CT. 

I have not ever heard of this species being found in SE NA.