Chicken Mushrooms ???

Tina and I were given false hopes yesterday finding this 50 feet from where we parked. I am pretty sure it is a chicken mushroom, but would feel better with a "yes". It was the only one to be found yesterday, although there were plenty of big brown mushrooms growing around or on stumps. There isn't very much, yet enough for the two of us to try em out. They were new growth so the shape was hard to judge, the colors were right (orangish on top and sulphur yellow on bottom, the pores were very tiny, the spore print was white and they were definitely not on coniferous trees and this section of woods was mostly oak and cherry. I did not notice any locust growing nearby either.

IMG_1324.jpg?t=1338741121

IMG_1327.jpg

The spore print was light, but there.

IMG_1329.jpg

It's not that often when I feel confident about IDing a mushroom by merely looking at a photo. This certainly looks like Laetiporus (Chicken Mushroom genus). Sorry for not seeing/responding sooner. But, the photo shows a young specimen. I think this one will still be in good shape for harvesting. When a Chicken is too old to eat, it had a dry/tough/woody quality.

Some folks are allergic to this type. Just last year an acquaintance of mine had a bad reaction to eating some pizza with Chicken Mushroom topping.... nothing major, just a bit of indigestion/discomfort.