Mushroom hunting clubs in FL panhandle?

Looking to hook up with edible mushroom foragers in or around Wewahitchka, FL. I have a fair bit of knowledge and can identify a fair amount of species with confidence. There are a few finds from my new location I needed ID'd but broke my device and don't have the pics now...

Anyways I need some like minded buddies to hunt, trade, and share with! I'm mainly a green thumb but want to broaden my horizons as much as possible. I've grown some mushrooms before but not to a massive degree and want to get reacquainted after several years now too. 

Please someone out there let's go looking!

DShroomGuy

We just inherited 4.99 acre- land in Olando Fl . Soon We'll put house on the land. I'm sad when thinking about to leave Pennsylvania and relocation in FL. I have acquainted familiar with the terrains where I knew a lot of good mushrooms  grow here. I found 15 old grandpa oak trees hosted hen of the woods year after year; I have a huge patch of chanties where I can harvest 20-LB a day; I know an oak grove where the beautifull coral mushrooms smile at me in August; Moreles in another 5-6 months will be abundant! ... Well, I never lived in FL, besides went on vacation 2 times. I've heard of people in FL pick Magic mushrooms there, Other than that, seems there's no mushrooms in FL. too much sunshine to grow mushrooms. 

Oh, by the way, I also enjoy gardening. I have some organic Veggie seeds which I grow them years, such as (Chinese) chives, Shanghai cyan (pak choi), Balsam pear, Sweet loofah, cowpea, 。。。。。 If you like, I can save the seeds for you.

Thanks y'all for the replies!

Lily I wouldn't mind trading you some seeds! I probably have a lot of stuff you'd like. 

Bok Choy, Mustard greens, cabbages, pigeon pea,  various beans, moringa, cuttings of many perennial tropical greens, golden berry, naranjilla, passion fruit, etc and that's only a very small list! If you seek anything in particular just ask I very well may have. 

I personally love Asian veggies and the dishes that they make!

As for picking mushrooms in FL I have had good blessings in the past. Tons of boletes pop like crazy in summer. Harvest untold pounds last year. Reishi is pretty common too. I've found other good ones too but not in quantity it's worth mentioning. However magic ones do grow here like crazy too! If a few of them find their way into a bag homeward bound it never hurts anything... They are quite interesting to say the least.

DSG

On 11/8/2017 at 11:12 AM, svs said:

Last time I visited Florida in September I saw few Boletes under evergreen oak trees in Jupiter ares. There is always a hope.

Thank you! SVS.

I google searched wild mushrooms in FL. There also are chanterelles there too. But more varieties in PA. I'd like to work in PA from April to August until winter comes I go FL.  

DSG, we'll make a wonderfull trade! Oh my Lord!  I'd love to have all your perennial tropical greens. This will make my Mother very happy. She was a farmer all her life in northern China. She loves gardening. When Mom and Dad  come visit me,  they'll  have something to do to kill time. My Mom now is collecting seeds as many as posible for me from China.

Do you have snake beans? I'd love to grow it in patio areas, but I lost the seeds. one year I grow too early frost killed them. 5a086391d13c8_.jpg.3fa2f008a90095d3310b54387b062731.jpg

Cool beans...seriously those are gorgeous beans! Never grown those but plan on yard long beans for the first time this year. 

Let me know whenever you may wanna trade. I'll check in here every so often. Always ready to go!

DSG

DSG,  I'd love to grow tropical veggies, but I have to wait untill we relocate  to FL., next year.

We had snow the other day and couple of frost nights. This morning I saw one bean, only one single bean was hanging'n  the vines. I killed Mom's another bean. Actually it was the weather killed her beans. We are living in North. My Mom's beans are from Hainan province south of China. 

This bean is my favorate veggie. It is big, 4 or 5 can weigh 1 LB. I don't know its English name. I googled :  asparagus pea /  winged bean. Here is the pic, if you know this bean's name. 

I'd like to mail you seeds. Whenever you want to plant.          

5a10810a42611_2.jpg.ec44481870b4498854d2a9a7172e9b4f.jpg

海南四棱豆.jpg

I have grown the Asian winged beans! They are very cool especially the baby blue flowers! Still have some seeds here for them I believe. Other beans I have are black turtle, Jack/sword bean, pigeon pea, and yard long if your into any of those at some point.

Happy Thanksgiving DSG! I'll leave you my mail address in the message box here, Please send me some winged beans seeds, so I can plant it in the coming spring! In return, what ever I have I'd like share with you. 

Lily, Asian veggies do great in FL!  Perfect climate.  I'm in the Tampa suburbs so very much the same zone as Orlando area.  Heirloom varieties of traditional western vegetables don't have a chance here but I have been able to grow the Chinese yardlong beans here all summer when nothing else will grow.  Considering that most of the produce FL is known for originated in Asia...

On 11/25/2017 at 7:53 AM, diana said:

Lily, Asian veggies do great in FL!  Perfect climate.  I'm in the Tampa suburbs so very much the same zone as Orlando area.  Heirloom varieties of traditional western vegetables don't have a chance here but I have been able to grow the Chinese yardlong beans here all summer when nothing else will grow.  Considering that most of the produce FL is known for originated in Asia...

Thanks for your good informations , Honeys Galore ( diana )!

I'll occupy myself with gardening in FL!  My husband's family friends live in Tampa too. It seems take an hour to Orlando.

On 11/30/2017 at 1:08 PM, DShroomGuy said:

Lily your winged bean seeds are on the way! 

DSG, Thanks for the Asian winged bean seeds! Yesterday before I left  to work, I checked my mail again, I got the parcel. I can't wait for Spring to come! This time I'll be more careful about to plant the beans you sent me.  Thank you again! 

• 3 months later...