Things are improving

Dave W

This previous week has featured a few rain events, with ~1.5" falling last Sunday/Monday. Mushrooms are returning! Yesterday found some nice Horse Mushrooms. These particular ones represent the species Agaricus crocodilinus. Had these delicious mushrooms yesterday as a side with grilled Porterhouse.    Agaricus_crocodilinus_NtkCem_11-3_A1.thumb.JPG.029d4cf17dde82bbff10efda9f5200ef.JPG

Also found a nice cluster of Blewits (Lepista nuda).   Lepista_nuda_BkCrk_11-3.thumb.JPG.d71b2be50f7a187927562d28774d5e7d.JPG

All found on lawns. 

Looking better in NJ as well. I almost gave up on fall Leccinum this year but found several young one today. Along with some Gypsies and honeys. Suillus are everywhere as well. I will not be able to go again till next weekend but hopefully cooler weather will delay maturation.

11-5-2017.jpg

What is the defining feature you use to determine if something is a Blewit? 

I know cortinarius is similar, including the cross section showing the gills tucking up at the stem, but it has a brown print. The blewits in your hand dont look like they have that tuck up of the gills. 

They look like what I found today but I am waiting for a print as I suspected they were a kind of tricholoma. Some did have a blue color, but most were very bland in color like what you have so I didn't think they were blewits but wasn't sure how much one species of trichs could vary in color.

I am printing them now but was expecting a white print (trich) but is there other look alikes to consider? Do tricholomas ever have a blue coloring?

If what I found is blewits I'm set for life because there was butt loads.

IMG_20171105_130906765.jpg

woodbsc.jpg

Do Entolomas grow as late as blewits?

I am looking into Entolomas now as,it's not one I know much about, but does the stem stay straight where it attaches to the ground or does it have a bulbish bottom? That'll be my last question for now......:D

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply... Most Entoloma species do not have the bulbous stalk base. Also, Entolomas have deep salmon-pink spore prints, as opposed to the subtly fleshy-pink Blewit spore prints. Entoloma is a large genus --lots of species-- and I see various types April through November.

The mushrooms that look most like Blewits are various species of Cortinarius. The large purple/tan Corts can be very tricky to distinguish from Blewits (Lepista nuda). But, a spore print will immediately allow one to tell the difference. Corts have rusty-brown to rusty-reddish spore prints. Also, with Corts it's often possible to see a rusty deposit clinging to the remnants of the "cortina" on the upper stalk (stringy partial veil that collapses onto the stalk). When the spores fall, they tend to stick to the webby remnants. Blewits usually have stems that appear somewhat frosted, and never with brown threads stuck to the stalk. Blewits often have thickened stalks bases, but it is uncommon for a Blewit to have a bulbous stalk base. (The one pictured in the cross-section is unusually bulbous... But I still think this one is a Blewit.) Corts often have bulbous stalk base, but not always. Cortinarius is a very large genus. Corts tend to have gills with uneven edges, and Blewits --like the ones seen in this discussion-- have gills with edges that are not ragged/uneven.